• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

snake died, ideas? long.

sumguy

My amel is normally an enthusiastic feeder. At the last meal, I noticed a slight swelling near the neck. He just shed 10 days before so it shouldn't have been part of that cycle. He hadn't eaten by Mon morning and the swelling seemed worse. I assumed it was a piece of aspen that may have got stuck in his gi tract. The vet couldn't see anything so prescribed antibiotic injections every 3 days, 5 shots total. He passed before the second shot. Symptoms: Swelling around neck such that the lower jaw was slightly extended but no unusual breathing noises. Not eating (missed the 1 meal before going to vet), drinking (afaik) or pooing (looked like he was ready). Weird part: While being handled at the vet the swelling appeared to move to within 2 inches below the heart and his neck and jaw looked fine with slight indication of swelling when jaws pried open. The vet said the heartbeat looked more pronounced than normal and he started to tip his head up and open mouth breathe (slight noise every 17 seconds) when left to sit during the consultation. Once home and settled the swelling near the heart moved back to the neck with the lower jaw more misaligned. No more tilted head or open mouth breathing. Probably died from the abcess rupturing because there was a slightpool of blood near his mouth and more came out when I lifted him.

wow... I'm fairly new to snakes so I have no idea what he died of, but that is a sad story to hear. I'm sure he's in a better place with all the hides he can want each with their own temperature gradient so he can be perfectly comfortable no matter what mood he's in. :rolleyes: Sorry to hear about your snake.

Back