• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

snake doesn't like aspen?

MakersMarked

On the outside looking in
I've noticed lately that Agitprop spends very little time on the aspen, which I just started using a few weeks ago. She spends most of her time in her cool hide, which has a ceramic bottom and doesn't touch the aspen. Her warm hide has an open bottom so she can burrow directly to the glass on the UTH if she wants, but I noticed if she does go on the warm side, she curls up ON TOP of the hide (under silk plants, so she's still "hiding"). Even when she goes to her water bowl, she'll usually crawl along the branches above her bowl and hang down to drink. She does crawl across the aspen on occasion, but only to get from Point A to Point B.

Is it possible she doesn't like the aspen? Should I switch back to paper towel? (I'd really rather not since I just bought a crapload of aspen.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it shredded aspen (smaller, thinner pieces) or shaved aspen (wider pieces)? She might not be used to it yet, I have never known a corn to care! If in a few more weeks she still won't touch it, maybe change back to the paper towels or try the other kind of aspen.

Good luck!

It's shredded aspen, I think. I use that ubiquitous ZooMed Aspen Snake Bedding. Hopefully she gets used to it cuz I'd rather not go back to paper towels. I just checked on her, and she's curled up on the stem of a plastic plant, so she's not even touching solid ground. So much for corns not being arboreal. :p

It may be because it's just a change in substrate or she's being picky. My corn adamantly refuses to touch beech chips which were recommended by a friend; she pushes all of the substrate out of underneath her hide and sits on the vivarium base instead, and has clear 'pathways' she makes by moving the substrate into a pile so she doesn't have to touch it as she's moving around the viv so it may be that she just doesn't like it. She'll probably get used to it after a few weeks, if not you could try other substrates like orchid bark if you need to since its a different feel?

Some snakes just don't like some substrates. My boa HATES aspen. She'll either curl up on top of her hides which are made of plastic, or spend forever scooping all the aspen in an area away so she's curled up on the smooth floor. She even went on a short eating/drinking strike because it would mean crawling over her aspen. She is now on newspaper and enjoys it much more.

Too funny!
But I wonder, what are the hot spot temps? And are you using a thermostat?
My corn often (even in the winter) prefers her cool side, regardless of substrate. She only goes in her warm hide after a meal!

Not sure if that was towards me or OP. My temps and everything are fine. 86-88F warm hide with a 90F basking spot outside. Cool side fluctuates between 74F and 80F depending on room temperature. Her enclosure is more than big enough at 5.5'x3'x2.5' so the temp gradient is there and broad. She just never has really liked aspen.

As for OP's original question... I'd leave it on the aspen for a bit and see if it eventually takes to it. Sometimes snakes can just be picky about change.

Heh, no worries. I figured as much but wasn't sure so I figured I'd answer too! Good question though, as we all know temp inaccuracies will result in some pretty wonky behaviors.

My vet recommended CareFresh bedding. It's marketed for small mammals, but my corn absolutely loves it. She was never a big burrower with her aspen substrate but she finds it much easier to move through the CareFresh. I've also found it to be much less dusty, and it comes in a bunch of cool colors so you can change up the look of the viv every once in awhile if you'd like.

My temps are kinda high because the walls of my apartment seem to be insulated with nothing better than bubble gum wrappers and hope. I think right now the viv is at 83. Hot spot is 86. When I know it's gonna be higher than 90, I put a frozen bottle of water in the viv before I go to work.

I've thought about the CareFresh, actually. I don't particularly want snazzy designer colors, but the dust from the aspen bothers me, and I'm not the one living on it. I think after I use up the aspen I have, if she's still being weird, I'll change it up.

You can also get it in plain brown/earth color as well. On another note, it's made from wood pulp, so it's extra absorbent making spot-cleaning for your snake's waste a breeze.

I know I come off sounding like a salesman, but after my vet recommended it and I tried it out I can't help but endorse it.

I've read that having substrate that's TOO absorbent can lead to drastically decreased humidity, so the snake has a harder time shedding. Do you artificially increase your humidity?

My temps are kinda high because the walls of my apartment seem to be insulated with nothing better than bubble gum wrappers and hope. I think right now the viv is at 83. Hot spot is 86. When I know it's gonna be higher than 90, I put a frozen bottle of water in the viv before I go to work.

I've thought about the CareFresh, actually. I don't particularly want snazzy designer colors, but the dust from the aspen bothers me, and I'm not the one living on it. I think after I use up the aspen I have, if she's still being weird, I'll change it up.

I laughed SO HARD at that first line. Oh my gawd!

I know Nanci mentioned before that when her temps get up there she turns off the UTH altogether. But that water bottle idea is golden.

I've read that having substrate that's TOO absorbent can lead to drastically decreased humidity, so the snake has a harder time shedding. Do you artificially increase your humidity?

My corn has always had shedding problems no matter what the substrate because she hates water and never soaks herself. I mitigate this by bathing her in a critter carrier at least three times a week, so I can't speak to the difference for a "normal" snake that soaks itself occasionally. With the bathing she sheds just fine.

I can't imagine that it would be any worse than newspaper considering they are essentially the same material.

Sorry for the triple post, but I just felt I should clarify that my snake hates water/getting wet to the point that she won't use a moist hide with sphagnum moss or any of the other standard shed-helping techniques, which leaves forced bathing as my only option. So in short my dear Shady is not a good standard for comparison.

Have you tried making a humid hide for your snake? I live in florida so my corns don't have an issue shedding but my ball python used to so he has a humid hide with damp sphagnum moss at all times. Now he never has a shedding issue.

I also agree if it is that warm just turn off the uth except for maybe a couple days after feeding. That's what I do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Im sorry I didn't read your post that you had aleady tried a humid hide. You could try making one with the moss so completely wrung out its almost dry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I may try using a moist hide again in the future, but my vet prescribed the bathing. She's always had trouble getting the bit off the end of her tail. I live in the Washington, DC area so it's well within a comfortable humidity level for a corn. While she isn't happy with her baths she gets over them fairly quickly.

Back