• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake eggshells needed for park project

Karoni

Cornaholic
Hi all! I am creating a snake Discovery Box for a local park to further snake education. The box will have activities/games, a story book, and an education binder in it. One of the things I want to put in the box are snake eggshells. Unfortunately, my two male snakes are not able to comply. ;-) I know there are many folks on here who breed snakes and I was hoping someone would be able to send me a few? If so, please shoot me a message and I'll give you the address.

Also, if anyone has any snake skin from a normal corn, that would be great, too. I have one of Rusty's but he doesn't shed very frequently and I was hoping to have more to put in the box.

Thanks so much.

Karen

Does it have to be corn snake egg shells? I just had 6 African House snakes hatch and hadn't completely thrown the shells out. They look very similar to corn eggs. I've never kept them for more than a few days, so not sure if there is anything one should do to them, to preserve them?

Tavia, you rock! (As usual :). That would be great. Let me do some research tomorrow on how to preserve them and get back to you.

I can do sheds of a mexican hognose, tarahumara mnt king, and a green tree python. Normal corn is dulling up but she's not due to shed until after brumation.

The variety would give you the chance to show keeled and smooth scales. I'd have to look close to see if any of my corns or rat snakes have weakly keeled scalation.

You might try contacting New Mexico Dept of Game & Fish or Arizona Dept of Game & Fish. Either may possibly be able to offer dead gila monsters; great for talking about osteoderm skin type.

I have a lot of sheds and egg shells if you want. I use them for demos so I always have a bunch around. As for preserving the shells, I've had some for years and nothing adverse happens to them once they are washed and dried. I rehydrate them in water before a demo to let the kids see how flexible they are compared to bird eggs. I also bring a group that is stuck together so a natural clutch formation can be shown. If you PM me your address I could get a box out to you as early as tomorrow.

Terri

Thanks, everyone! Terri, since you have both sheds and eggs to spare, I'll PM you with my address.

You know what I am terrible about saving? Sometimes you find a very old slug in a female's viv- and it's hard, and looks like amber. I have a hard time throwing those away.

They will be on their way this afternoon. I threw in a surprise too... Nothing live so no worries. lol

Terri

My big boy Bootsie (950g) is due to shed, but might be in brumation for the winter. If he does shed I will let you know.

And if any of my girls throw slugs (I don't breed) I will send them if you want them.

Back