• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Fast-Food: A pond?

asymons

The Lab Rat
So I'm not entirely sure whether or not this could be relevant to corns. While I was feeding Cornelius today my Mom told me that waaay back, she kept another "small snake" (she couldn't remember the species) that they never had to worry about feeding: they simply kept his water bowl filled with small goldfish in the tank. Whenever the snake was hungry, he would eat a goldfish from the bowl!

Has anyone else ever heard of this? I thought it was pretty amusing if not a clever idea. I thought it was interesting that he would not over-eat and managed to regulate his own food intake.

Anyway, thought that warranted a post/laugh. :)

Ribbon snakes will readily eat goldfish. Also water snakes. I've never tried to feed them to my corns though.

Several species of snakes eat fish gold fish included, but like someone already said they have little nutritional value and definitely carry yucky stuff. I would also question just leaving them there as snakes will over eat and regurge.

Garters do eat goldfish, but they're not a recommended food source. There's certain things in the goldfish that don't allow the snake to properly break down the nutrients. There was a huge post a while back that a member named Shannon (aka aSnakeLovinBabe) made a while back about what types of fish are acceptable.

I remember reading something about alligators and feeder goldfish.. Like, the goldfish have actual toxins in them or something. I'd feed minnows before I'd feed goldfish, but honestly, all fish tend to be infected with something or other. I think this would be a superb idea for a garter, but I'm not sure about corns. I guess I don't know either way.

I'd never consider substituting fish for a corn who happily eats fuzzies, but I thought the idea was kind of quirky. :)

I'd relate a story I'd seen first hand years ago about a bearded dragon and a goldfish, but I wouldn't want to anyone to think that I was validating the practice of feeding goldfish to anything.

Years ago I kept goldfish in an aquatic turtle tank, but it was more for the bottom feeder aspect of it than anything else, my turtles rarely tried to chase down goldfish as they were well fed and lazy.
I figured that the goldfish could get into places that turtles could not, and would eat any turtle food that was left uneaten by the turtles before it could spoil and become a food source for bad stuff.
I stopped having them in there when they became too much of an obstacle to regular cleaning.
Weekly water changes would kill a few of them, then the turtles would eat them, but invariable leave some scraps uneaten and it would leave a bad odor in the water, so I'd do a water change, and the cycle would repeat itself until I was out of goldfish.
It's a bad idea to use goldfish to feed anything that you care about.

One snake that would eat fish are water snakes.. here is a Northern Water Snake.
wsyummy.jpg

I also feed my Garters as well.
Here is an eastern Garter.
gs1.jpg

That's a lovely garter! Did you find him or buy him?

that guy is a wc, I did some hiking before hunting season, in Mid October and found him sunning on a stump. I just picked him up. He was beat pretty bad, due to predators. So I took pity on him and brought him home.
This snake is one of the Calmest snakes I own.

In a situation where the snake is getting his butt kicked every day, he's probably not enjoying life a whole lot. I admire your sympathy for that critter. Perhaps you found eachother. Maybe he heard you coming! ;)

Ya don't feel goldfish, they are unhealthy and can actually kill a snake over time. If you ever thought of feeding a corn fish you'd be better off with guppies, thats what I feed my garter, although i don't see why you'd switch from something that has complete nutrion like a mouse to something that is lacking a lot of nutrion and has to be supplemented. I don'y even feed my garter snake fish to much anymore, I've manged to switch him onto pinky mice which is a lot healthier.

Well, if your snake is obese or "hippy", I bet feeding fish/guppies/frogs would be a good idea if you wanted to cut back on fat without cutting back on too much protien.. Although excersize and adjusted intake are probably even better yet.

I think our poster was curious about using it as a seldom thing, perhaps during a vacation or a busy period. It would be better than going hungry, I suppose, as long as your snake is willing to try new foods.

Well, if your snake is obese or "hippy", I bet feeding fish/guppies/frogs would be a good idea if you wanted to cut back on fat without cutting back on too much protien.. Although excersize and adjusted intake are probably even better yet.

I think our poster was curious about using it as a seldom thing, perhaps during a vacation or a busy period. It would be better than going hungry, I suppose, as long as your snake is willing to try new foods.
Hippy snakes should receive smaller meals at longer intervals. Most snakes are fine without being fed for awhile as long as it's not an extended period of time. As opposed to "seldom" just one fish with parasites etc... would be enough to infect a snake, just one.

Back