• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake feels cold

Cornflake514

My corn feels like he is kind of cold to the touch. I brought him to another room about 2 weeks ago that wouldn't have air conditioning so that wouldn't conflict. I"ve noticed he has been spending a lot of time on the cooler side of his viv. Normally he is on the warm side. Ocassionally he hangs out over in the cool but for majority it's been warm.
Reccently he hasn't been as active and when I picked him up today he felt rather cold. He is eatting fine, I'm waiting for him to finish his meal right now actually. :)
And he's pretty lively when in my hands.
His heating pad got unplugged for a couple of days, like 4 days ago 'cause I moved him into the living room, and I don't think my mom knew what that plug was for and absentmindely unplugged it to vaccum. Luckfulluy I thought to check when I noticed he wasn't coming out of his hide as much as he normally does.
Is his cold temp something to look out for? I don't know if it's bothering him 'cause I'm assuming if it were he'd move to the warmer side if it were.
Anything I should look out for?

Completely normal. With summer here, it makes sense for him to want to be on the cool end. If your house actually gets warm enough, you can turn the heating pad off. (I do when my room gets hotter than 75F because my room doesn't ventilate well.)

Also, snakes, or any reptile, do not regulate their temp like mammals/us so they will feel cold unless you pluck 'em up after they've been on the heating pad for a while.

If he's not as active, could he be going blue? Remember, a room temp snake feels cool or even cold to your 91F hands. What did Ginger always say? Your hand is not a thermometer!

If he's not as active, could he be going blue? Remember, a room temp snake feels cool or even cold to your 91F hands. What did Ginger always say? Your hand is not a thermometer!

Which is why it's fairly ineffective to feel somebodies forehead with your hand if you think they have a fever. If your snake seems healthy in every other way, I wouldn't be worried. If he wants to warm up, he'll move to the warmer side of the tank.

Back