• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake hasn't been out of hide in over a week

Cornflake514

My snake hasn't been out much, and he was due to be fed Tuesday, and he still isn't out and looking. Usually on feeding day he's up on his climbing stick looking all around. But since last week (Tuesday) when I fed him, he's been in his hide in the same exact spot, after 3 days of it, I checked on him to make sure he was doing okay. He seemed fine, but he went right back to the spot and still hasn't left it. I checked on him again yesterday 'cause I was thinking maybe he is shedding even though he did just a little while ago, but his eyes weren't white or anything. His colors do look a bit dull though like he may be.
I don't know to much about snakes this is my first one, I have done research and bought a book. Is this normal?
And lastly should I try and feed him? Or wait for him to come on out.
...I should say that I am actually not sure of the sex, I just say "him" and he is still pretty small, eats 2 pinkies a week.
Thanks guys.

It was like a month ago, which seems like a while, but I've had him 6 moths and he's only shed twice, and the first one was right after I got him.

Funny, I'm going through the same thing with mine right now. He's usually cruising around every night like clockwork and he's been in his hide for a week. I didn't disturb him to feed him on his feeding day, but last night I just thoght I'd try. I put him in his feeding box with a pinky and he ate it instantly. When he was done, he went back in his hide and that's where he is now. I also didn't see his eyes change, but his colors are looking kind of dull. We've had him since April and he hasn't shed yet.

I'm no expert so I'm not sure if it was the right think to do, but he ate right away so I guess it was okay.

My snakes are kinda doing this too. Of the 4, one is hardly ever out (at least during the day when I can see them) and she's made an appearance or 2. The other 3 that are usually more active, have been laying low lately. Maybe it's the weather; it's been starting to warm up quite a bit here. But I did discover one in blue and another who looks ready to shed again soon too (he's an anery and I can't tell by his eyes when he's getting ready to shed, just that his belly gets all iridescent). Anyways, it is normal for them to go through different activity levels. As long as he doesn't seem lethargic and unresponsive when you touch him or pick him up, everything is most likely fine.

I would say, sure, go ahead and offer him a meal. If he doesn't eat, make sure you wait at least 5 days before offering again.

When i touch him he doesn't seem to move much. I'll try and pick him up and see what happends, but when I move his hide and touch him he usually moves fast to get away. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks

Cornflake, I just wanted to let you know that tonight my Aztec is back to his old self again and basking on a branch. I quickly looked around his tank and there it was, a perfect shed. It was his first shed with me and also the first time I had seen one so it was really exciting! So hopefully it's just what you're guy is doing too.

Our 3 year old takes longer to shed these days. When he was small the process would take a couple of days and you'd hardly notice much change in his behaviour. Now he's bigger the whole process can take over a week.
He gets lethargic and still for about 3/4 days, turns blue for 2 days, clears for a day or two and finally sheds. He usually perks up again about a day later and goes back to being his normal inquisitive self.
My other half equates his behaviour to mine and charmingly says he's got pst - pre shed tension :)
Essentially, we've definitely noticed very lethargic behaviour when he'd due to shed and it gets longer as he gets older. As long as they're eating happily it's definitely nothing to worry about!

Back