• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake ID

sparkplug

I found this snake in my yard yesterday. Is it a common water snake? It had no markings other than gray and elongated rough scales. The neighbors are clearing out some land for a lot and he must have been forced out of his home. Poor little guy, but I relocated him to a safe spot in the woods.
The location was Mandeville, Louisiana. Thanks for the help.

Isaac

blacksnake.jpg

blacksnake2.jpg

I agree with tyflier on this one. Looks like the yellow belly water snake to me.

Oh how I wish I was in louisiana this time of year.... I would be out in the woods every day looking for snakes and lizards... But alas, I am stuck in New Mexico and with my job and school and my wedding coming up, it is hard to do anything that I want to do....lol

Thanks guys.

The kids and I have been looking for snakes ever since it warmed up but not really seeing the numbers as we have seen in the past. I think it may have to do with such a cold winter we had. Who knows?

Thanks guys.

The kids and I have been looking for snakes ever since it warmed up but not really seeing the numbers as we have seen in the past. I think it may have to do with such a cold winter we had. Who knows?

I think that is exactly what happened.
I haven't seen so much as a gopher snake out here yet, and I have been searching in places that they are known to be... Animal control has a habit of releasing them on my in-laws property and they see them every year about this time, but not this year... not yet anyways... but believe me, when I do finally catch one, I will post pictures...

Last year I found my first rattler of the season on March 19. I haven't seen one yet this year. By this time last year, I had already found a total in excess of 15 snakes. This year...1. And that's counting only live snakes. Last year by this time, I had seen roughly 20 DOR snakes. This year...1.

This season is getting a late start pretty much everywhere as far as I can see...

I have only found one, and it was a dead Half garter snake up where I was fishing last sunday... Apparently someone decided that they wanted to cut it in half... poor little guy.

East Coast & Mid West wise. Our snakes actually came out early this year.

I live in the High Desert in California. I went cruising last night. At 8pm, it was 43*F. That's about 20* colder than I would expect this time of year...

East Coast & Mid West wise. Our snakes actually came out early this year.

Definitely true here. I found my first snakes this year 2 weeks ago.
It's been at least 3 weeks, maybe longer, since I heard the first frogs.

Definitely true here. I found my first snakes this year 2 weeks ago.
It's been at least 3 weeks, maybe longer, since I heard the first frogs.

We have more green tree frogs than I have seen in years over here. This is one I saw about a week ago.

treefrog.jpg

Back