• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake is always hiding.. can snakes get depressed?

Prattj

I rarely ever see my snake! He is six months old and small, but when i first got him and he was a hatchling he was always out and about or always under his lamp sun bathing and now he just hides like a little whimp! Im not doing anything differently and im wondering why the sudden change. I thought maybe he was getting to hot so i changed the watts of the bulbs and that still didnt really do it. I dono :/ bummed... i like to see him having fun in there! Can snakes get depressed?

There are so many ways your questions could be answered: what are the temps in the viv especially where your snake is 'hiding'. Snakes are not a ton of laughs, hiding is what they do. You would probably see him more in evening and early morning. Corn snakes like belly heat as in UTH and don't need light. If the light you are using gives it artificial light then the light could be throwing of cycle. No snakes probably don't get depressed and if it could calling it a little whimp might be the cause.

During the day the temp is around 80 and at night maybe 75. He comes out when he is hungry usually and i notice the more i handle him the more he comes out so maybe thats the trick? He is usually under his water bowl. Which is on the other side of the tank from where the day light lamp is. I was thinking maybe he is too hot. I dont have a heating pad though so maybe i need to get one? Im just afraid he is going to burn himself.

UTH under tank heater and you use a rheostat or thermostat to regulate the heat. It sounds like you are estimating the temps. It should be 80-85 warm side and 70-75 cool, temp should be taken at substrate level.
Yes your snake may get used to being handled that is different then being out all the time roaming around viv. How often do you feed him?

I hate a thermostat at the bottom of the tank. I feed him every four days. Pinkies.

Dont' you want to do what is best for the snake. If you insist on light do a red light. Temps are vital for the health of the snake.

Snakes and reptiles in general don't have complex emotions like humans do.

I rarely see me corns in the day time, but late at night when the lights are out they come out of their respective hides and start cruising all over the tank.

Babies hide a lot. Sounds like yours could be going into a shed cycle? My adults are out an about a lot mostly late afternoon / early evening but when they were babies they hide a lot too.

Both of the lights are UV. The one at night is red and the one in the day time is blue or white if you will. Yeah i was wondering if it was just a baby thing or if it was abnormal! Thanks that makes me feel better. And i was unsure of the temp all the time because i live in washington and we have no AC so if its hot in my room his tank is going to be hotter but it changes everyday. But yes for the most part his tank is around eighty and at night seventy five.

And of coarse i care about my snake! What kind of question is that? Im new at this. this is my first snake thats why im asking for advice lol because i dont necessarily know exactly everything that is best for my snake yet. So should I use a heat pad?

I hate a thermostat at the bottom of the tank. I feed him every four days. Pinkies.

It is about what is best for your snake and guessing at temps and thinking they fluctuate with the weather in your house is not the best way. Cornsnakes need an ambient temp a cool side 70-75* and a warm side
80-85* so they can thermoregulate. They do not need UV and it is highly recomended they have belly heat to digest properly. Many regurges occur because improperly monitored temps.
You should not handle your snake for 48 hours after it has eaten and/or the bulge is gone. So if you feed every 4 days then you feed wait 2 days and can handle the snake the next two days and then feed again... I know it's rather boring but also the wonder of owning a snake.
Also there are stickies at the beginning of diff forums with lots of info on raising these wonderful creatures.

Okay thank you! Like i said he is my first so i need all the advice i can get. He has a warm and cool side of the tank but hangs out in the cool side all the time. Ill check out the heaters

mine always hides during the day and when it gets to be about 7-8pm she might start to peek her head out. by the time im ready for bed (9-10pm) she can sometimes be found in her vines or cruising around. my other corn was fairly nocturnal when he was younger also

Back