• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Newbie :)

Evol_girl

Hello all! My name is Summer and I'm a snake newbie. We just got my daughter her first corn snake about a week ago - We believe she's only about 4 months old. I already absolutely love her (kind of in an obsessive I wish she wasn't my daughters way!) - but am finding myself being very paranoid that things aren't perfect. SO I'm hoping this forum can bear with me slightly in my probable numerous questions and quest for reassurance that I am doing everything ok for her!

I love reading the forums and seeing pictures of everyone's babies. Our is, from what I understand, a fairly common Anery. From what I read, she's not classified as one of the "beautiful" snakes - compared to some of the reds and yellows and orange varieties... But I think she's to die for none the less :)

Nice to meet you all :)

Welcome, Summer! I think all snakes are beautiful. Anerys and amels can be just as pretty as some of the higher end morphs. We joke on this forum about corns being an addiction. I see you're already feeling the pull.... :D

Welcome... why not get your own corn? LOL.. believe me, they are addictive and you can never have enough IMO.

Welcome... why not get your own corn? LOL.. believe me, they are addictive and you can never have enough IMO.

haha. It's already crossed my mind... But we already have 4 cats and a dog - and it took took some serious convincing with the boyfriend to get the one snake... I think I may need a wee bit more time before I'm "allowed" to get another :)

haha. It's already crossed my mind... But we already have 4 cats and a dog - and it took took some serious convincing with the boyfriend to get the one snake... I think I may need a wee bit more time before I'm "allowed" to get another :)

Ha! Get the boyfriend to fall in love with her too.. and believe me, no more having to convince him... just kiddin...

I have a zoo... let's see.. 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 corn snakes (will be 4 soon).. my daughter has one at her place which if I count means we will have 5 snakes soon, 1 bird and 2 fish. Now THAT is a lot, but we love animals. Can you tell?

From what I read, she's not classified as one of the "beautiful" snakes - compared to some of the reds and yellows and orange varieties...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As long as you think she is awesome it doesn't matter what others think. I just got my first corn snake as well and he is just a plain old okatee but very cool looking. My son picked him over some granites and I think it was a good choice. :)

Snap a shot of her evol girl if you want... we are always interested to see corns and their beauty.. since she's in her hidey hole right now.. snap one when you are holding her.. if she's not a wiggle worm. LOL

Ha! Get the boyfriend to fall in love with her too.. and believe me, no more having to convince him...

He went from being terrified (went into the bedroom and closed the door when we walked her in the house to her tank) to being almost more paranoid about her habitat being perfect than I am, and admitting that "she's pretty awesome" in just a couple of days... But still isn't interested in being in the room while the lid is open! haha. Which is even more funny considering it's basically an empty tank for all intent and purposes. She wouldn't show her face if you waived a handful of pinkies in the air! But I have a feeling with a little more time he'll fall in love completely.

He went from being terrified (went into the bedroom and closed the door when we walked her in the house to her tank) to being almost more paranoid about her habitat being perfect than I am, and admitting that "she's pretty awesome" in just a couple of days... But still isn't interested in being in the room while the lid is open! haha. Which is even more funny considering it's basically an empty tank for all intent and purposes. She wouldn't show her face if you waived a handful of pinkies in the air! But I have a feeling with a little more time he'll fall in love completely.

LOL.. poor guy. Just reassure him that corns don't have "fangs" like venomous snakes do and they are the far more docile of snakes to have for a pet. They are also known not to bite. Well, only the really nutty corn might or a really scared one.. but the bites don't really hurt.

He'll relax around her. You can't help but love a corn.

I was one of the biggest snake phobians you'll meet.. and one little amel corn, Ares, got me over that quiet fast. :dancer:

He will get used to her. That's what happened to me. I was terrified of snakes. Hubby got a ball python. I wouldn't go anywhere near it, but loved taking pics during feeding time. Then I got him another one for Father's Day. Then he got a red-tail boa. Then I fell in love with a "normal" corn. We are now up to: 6 corns (the snow he got me for Valentine's Day), 2 ball pythons, 3 "common" red-tail boas and 2 hypo boas. Add to that 2 teenagers, 3 dogs, an evil hamster and a hedgehog. That doesn't even count the assorted "extra" teens we find in the house on the weekends!

Elvie.jpg

This is the only photo I have of her, sorry its such poor quality - its from my phone! This was day one at home, prior to putting her in her tank, only to have her disappear from site forever more ;)

She's adorable. So guys (others looking in here) does she look like an anery het amel to you? She actually looks a bit like Athena..one of the females corns I am taking on soon.

In the other thread you made about her hiding, I responded about that.. but don't worry about it.

Dawn - you and Ares are making me and my "humble" herd of just 4 cats and 1 dog feel much better about the amount of animals we have! haha.

Oh - and the snakes name is Elvie... Its a bit snarky on my part, its a play off Louis Vuitton, snake skin purses, etc. You'll have to know my personality better to know that's not nearly as sick as it comes off :)

Dawn - you and Ares are making me and my "humble" herd of just 4 cats and 1 dog feel much better about the amount of animals we have! haha.

Oh - and the snakes name is Elvie... Its a bit snarky on my part, its a play off Louis Vuitton, snake skin purses, etc. You'll have to know my personality better to know that's not nearly as sick as it comes off :)

LOL... it's cute. Believe it or not, one of my female corns almost ended up with the name, Medusa. Original, right? LOL

yeah, I have a zoo at home for sure.. and each one of them are spoiled stinking, and I mean REALLY stinking, rotten. LOL

Awwww! thanks :) I think so too...

As a side note - I am really happy I stumbled upon this forum. I already love you guys and LOVE having someone to talk snakes with... She is my first - I've had her only for a little over a week and I feel like I could talk snakes 24/7 - but alas, have no similar minded friends IRL!

Summer, I felt the same way as you when I first found this forum and guess what?...I love it all even more now! This has become quite an internet family for me...a place to call home with like minded people. Maybe you'll encounter friends here that you'll meet IRL. It does happen! We're so glad to have you. :)

Hello and welcome Summer! Pretty snake, even if you don't get to see her much right now, LOL. She should get over that in a few weeks or so.

HI welcome. it is great to see a minneapolis person here. Obsessed is the word you used. I am (according to my wife) totally obsessed. I had no idea that I would be so into this snake, but I love it and wish I would have gotten one a long time ago. I have a 9 month old Okeetee female. First one. You have found a great forum here. Lots of knowledge and experiance for us newbies.

Back