• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake: property or pet?

Discordia

Cute Overload
I was told by a reptile shop owner that under Arizona law, snakes (reptiles?) are considered property, as opposed to pet. Because of this, I can legally own a snake without letting my landlord know, and they can't evict me or take any action against me (legally) if they find out that I do have one. I know there are a few Arizona residents on this forum and was wondering if you guys (or anyone else) could tell me if this was true? Or where I'd be able to find this information. I tried searching around on Google but was unable to find anything about landlords and snakes.

I'm moving to a new apartment in a week and while I don't have a snake yet, I'm planning on getting one very soon and I'd like to try to avoid the hassle of money-grubbing landlords trying to tack on a pet fee if my pet isn't really a pet (and have the legal proof for my argument, if needed, too). Thanks!

Since I can't edit my post, I'd like to add that by snakes, I didn't mean dangerous ones. I talked to the shop owner quite a while ago and don't remember his exact words, but we were talking about corn snakes.

No idea, but in general, this is a very landlord-friendly state and not a very tenant-friendly state. So if you get caught and the landlord decides to do something about it, I'd bet on being on the losing end of that situation.

I use the term aquarium pets when I speak to some of my neighbors or people I just don't want to know that I have snakes. Read over the lease and see if there is anything specific about reptiles or aquariums. Usually only cats and dogs require a pet deposit because of their potential for destruction. The places I've lived that didn't want snakes always stated so in bold. If there is a prohibition on aquariums due to flooding explain that there will be no water in it and that it is a terrarium. If you use the proper words, retain your cool, and conduct yourself properly you just may pull it off. Good luck.

@Cmalchow: It was Reptiles N Reefs on University and...McClintock? Rural? Somewhere around there.

@Dreamsnake: Thanks! That sounds like a pretty solid plan.

In the UK, the status of an animal as pet or property, is irrelevant to a tenancy agreement. If your lease states that you can't keep pets in the property, then you're breaking the lease if you have one and the landlord can evict you. I suspect the same is the case with you.

I wouldn't listen to the people at that store. After all, Dogs, cats, etc. are considered property under the law.
Regardless, property or pet, if the landlord/lease specifies what you cannot have, &/or what you cannot do, (as long as it is legal for them to deny) you must follow what the landlord, or, more specifically, what your lease states.

Interesting points. When I get my copy of the lease, I'll read it over and see if it says anything about "pets" in general. I'm going into one of those large complexes rather than a privately owned unit so I'm probably a little safer in terms of landlords who burst in unannounced. When I have the time, I'll go back to the store and ask the guy what he was talking about.

I would say that any pet is considered property, whether its on four legs, two legs, or has no legs or fins.

Im an animal control officer and whenever we get into disputes between animals (say someone has a dog for 6 months and puts him up at a show, and then someone in the audience says "thats my dog!"), the animal is always suddenly considered property, because theres proof of ownership involved.

Now, I live in an apartment complex that allows only "help" animals.
My dogs and cats live with me currently because they are there to help me with my depression.
My snakes on the other hand, my landlord knows nothing about even though in the lease it states that animals confined in fish tanks are okay.
Thats how we are able to keep snakes.

Now my rodents on the other hand will soon be moved, as soon as our rack is fixed, as rodents are looked down on since 90% of the people that live here are irresponsible and would probably let some of them get out.

Make sure you check over your lease inch by inch and make sure, if you CAN have snakes or animals in aquariums that you talk to your landlord face to face to see what they have to say.

When I have the time, I'll go back to the store and ask the guy what he was talking about.
I'm not sure it's worth the bother really. The only thing that matters, is what your lease says about animals being kept in your property. Better to get things absolutely straight with your landlord, than get yourself into a muddle over what Guy-In-The-Store meant. In the event of a dispute, I doubt Guy-In-The-Store's opinion will be worth anything.

Our landlord does not consider them as pets. I've been lucky to have had not one issue in regards to keeping several snakes. When we get inspected all he wants to know is that they are securely kept. I also keep a low profile in as far as having them out and about in the complex. If they're outside (for exercise, photo's or just a soak in the sun) I do it in the morning.

I live in a privately owned community. My landlords have set a limit to the number of cats and dogs per household, but he doesn't care about my snakes as long as we "take them with us when we leave." We did ask approval before getting them, but we not be so forthcoming in the future. Sometimes it is better to hold a poker face and only tell them what they want to hear. Most people do not want a confrontation, but every once in a while you will need to deal with a total control freak.

Something else to consider... you never know when the discovery of your snake keeping will be a GOOD thing.

When we moved into our new house, the landlady's sister dropped by to clear some stuff out of the storage shed outside just as we were starting to unload our (at that point) 20+ snakes. She was fascinated that we kept snakes as pets and to breed! She did mention that her sister, the landlady, was afraid of snakes though and that made me a little worried. A couple weeks later they both show up and her sister was determined to overcome her fear of snakes!!

She held a yearling and an adult, took pictures with them, and invited me to show my snakes to her classroom (she's a teacher) and share information about them. It was a great experience!

Though keep in mind, not everyone is so open-minded, so I suggest using caution until you know how your landlord will react. Good luck!

Back