• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Rack Plans?

Cruxite

I've decided that it would be more efficient for me to have a small rack system for my three hatchlings when they grow up. My room is getting too cluttered with 4 aquariums and I don't think my mom likes seeing all the snakes at once when she comes to bring laundry in my room...h-heh.

HENCE THE NEED FOR A RACK SYSTEM. :{D

I've been looking around at various rack plans but they're all for larger scale rack systems. I only need a rack that can hold 3 28 quart tubs (or 6 14 qts.). I know that I'll be needing some flexiwatt, melamine or some kind of wood for the general structure, and a thermometer to control the temp. I already have the tubs with holes drilled and everything, I just need to complete the setup. c:

SO, my questions are as follows:
-What width of flexiwatt should I purchase?
-Is there a brand of thermometer that is better than others/more preferrable? Price doesn't matter, I just want something that's fairly simple to work with and gets the job done.

Thank you in advance to those with advice/answers to my questions! ;D

I use the four inch, everyone has thier own preference. My rack holds 34 quart sterlites. I just use a dimmer from Lowes and a digital thermometer with a lead on it.
Don't forget to use metal tape to tape the flex down. At the moment I am using one dimmer for five shelves.
I went the cheap route on mine, the racks are made of OSB board and 2 x 2s it works well and only cost me $30 or so for two racks. My hatchling racks are made the same way. But if you want them inside the house where they are displayed another material would prob be better. Good luck with it

The best route for quality and that will last, is to go with the Melamine. Safest way and easiest way is to make it so they will fit with lids. A dimmer can be dangerous as it could easily malfunction and nothing is really actually controlling the temp.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S
or you can always go with a herpstat, which is the best thermostat you could git.

Sorry but I really disagree with you. For one melamine may look nicer but the other still fits really well with lids, I have locking lids on mine and they still fit really well. and as for temp control too many of us use the dimmers and have great results.

Sorry but I really disagree with you. For one melamine may look nicer but the other still fits really well with lids, I have locking lids on mine and they still fit really well. and as for temp control too many of us use the dimmers and have great results.

Being the Cabinet maker that I am, I totally dissagree with using OSB board, as to ANY humidity and water will wear away at it and it has a better chance of warping or cupping. The melamine is better because it has the coating covering the wood, therefore not allowing any moisture to gain access to the main core. Unless you spill water all over it and it seeps into the open edges.

As to the dimmer... I still think there less safer then using an actual thermostat, you could accidentally turn the dial or w/e and never actually know till you look at the temp. Whereas a thermostat, your almost idiot proof, as long as you set the temp right and have the probe in the right spot pretty much nothing can go wrong.

yeah I guess warpage could be a problem but has not been an issue. with the narrow widths on a rack and all. I really don't call anything "idiot" proof. It all boils down to what you want to use. either will work and do work fine. Melamime or osb, thermostat or dimmer. With a dimmer you are still keep an eye on temps with a thermometer.

Back