• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake room underway.

oldsnow

Hrmmmm........
Figured I would put this here since it's not going to end up as a write-up for a DIY but it is remotely related to corns. Just a few pic's of what got accomplished today while the kids were down for a nap.

Having to work around 1960's framing and concrete work makes for a tough time, but oh well, gives me something to do and occupy myself.

Attachments

• DSCN1806.JPG
    DSCN1806.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN1807.JPG
    DSCN1807.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 114
You knocked out a concrete wall while your tots were napping? Wow, that's impressive!

Looking forward to seeing how this comes along! :cheers:

:bang: No..... didn't knock out a wall, just having to deal with a floor with a 1"/ft. slope on it isn't ideal framing conditions. But they did sleep through all the hammering, sawing, and cursing from smashed fingers. I will definitely keep this one going as a progression thread to keep everyone up to date.

Hoping to have room for LOTS of babies, and by the time I get out of school and we move I can just have a snake BUILDING out in the back yard. :crazy02:

Just curious to see what everyone says, or recommends. I'm fixing to head to Lowe's and Home Depot to price wall paneling for the two walls I built and was wondering what everyone would suggest. I'm thinking something like the paneling in a shower or bathroom so it would be pretty easy to disinfect and clean if need be. Would also stand up to a more humid environment. Either way, I have to run the electrical before I go to hanging wall board but would rather get ideas for supplies before the time comes.

Thanks everyone.

Lol I would definitely do it cheaper than a contractor would..... But you would have to be cool with profanity, cause I'm not the best with a hammer :bang:

O I checked stuff at home depot and I'm thinking about just doing thrifty board for all the walls and ceiling, smooth surface means easy clean up.

Well back to running wiring.... Should have lights on within an hour

And.....

Let there be light..... now for the walls tomorrow. And I'm shooting for an overall budget of $200 including the wood that I already had lying around. So I'm actually only going to sink around $130 into it, not counting racks and tubs and all other decorations.

Total of 4 receptacles, for power strips to run everything else, and will have 2 lights, but the second one I opened was missing the bracket and internals so will have to exchange that tomorrow when I go back.

Walls should take 8 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" thrifty board paneling total. Ceiling will take another 2, so at $11.50 a sheet I'm almost out the door for under $100.

Attachments

• DSCN1808.JPG
    DSCN1808.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1809.JPG
    DSCN1809.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1811.JPG
    DSCN1811.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1812.JPG
    DSCN1812.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1813.JPG
    DSCN1813.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 55
Cool, have fun. If you're going to have an independent heat source, I would recommend insulating the ceiling and all of the framing that you've completed.

Plan to... I'm thinking now that I look at it, that it wouldn't hurt to fur out the cement walls with some 2x4's ripped in half just so that my paneling isn't absorbing the cold from the wall and transferring it into the room.

Thanks though

Plan to... I'm thinking now that I look at it, that it wouldn't hurt to fur out the cement walls with some 2x4's ripped in half just so that my paneling isn't absorbing the cold from the wall and transferring it into the room.

Thanks though
I'd thought of that as well. You could fur-up the floor too w/ 2x's and ply, lots of radiant cold there too...
Give me some time, I'll find a few more ways to spend your money....lol

I can vicariously enjoy your progress and wish it was mine. By the way, are the "lots of babies" you plan on having of the biped or serpentine variety? Or both? Don't mean to be nosy but you did bring it up.....

lol I would much rather someone see something wrong with my idea and suggest a better way instead of not saying anything and me never thinking of it. Already had the idea of going in and redoing the floor with some concrete leveler since there is a fairly large hole knocked out of the floor where the previous owner was going to install a bathroom and have drainage running out. Definitely have that at the top of the to do list now that there is power and light in there.

Keep coming up with more ways to spend money. All I can do is say no.... or my wallet could just cough a little dust.

I'm planning to put a radiant heater in the corner formed by the two concrete walls to heat the room. And plan to have racks floor to ceiling on the other two walls, lol

I can vicariously enjoy your progress and wish it was mine. By the way, are the "lots of babies" you plan on having of the biped or serpentine variety? Or both? Don't mean to be nosy but you did bring it up.....

If they are bi-ped babies then I will OWN the hospital system around here. I'll just leave it at that and let you make your own assumptions.......

Aww, bi-ped babieeees! Sorry. I went all girly on ya. ;)

I look forward to watching this progression. Wish I had some kind of Home Improvement-ness to me.

Back