• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake size to mouse size, and timing...(another Munson Plan question)

ZiVvmO

Hokay, so I got a scale and weighed Abbey. She is 175g. Which, on the Munson Plan chart, puts her in the adult mouse category. Now, I know that it is just a suggested method, but it was alarming to me that I am currently feeding Abbey hoppers (~10g) every 6 days because shes just not big enough around to eat an adult mouse. Now I could see her maybe eating weaned. but definitely not adults. The reason this is such a deal to me is that I have noticed a change in her habits. She has been much more active lately, and it looks like shes "looking for something". Now, this could be a complete figment of my imagination, but....eh.

That said, here is my new feeding plan. Let me know if you disagree.

I currently have about 15-20 hoppers in the freezer. I plan to feed her a hopper every 4th day until they're gone, and, by then, she will probably be big enough to eat adults. At which point, I will start buying adults and feed her once a week.

Any thoughts? :noevil:

I don't think I'd do it that way. I'd try her on double hoppers, every five-seven days. Maybe the longer interval till you see how fast she digests them.

Yeah, I second Nanci's advice. Just feed her double hoppers every 7 days. At 175g (assuming she's otherwise healthy), she's ready for adult mice. Mine in that range are at medium mice and ~200g I switch them to large mice (basing off Big Cheese Rodent sizing). Then at 300g to jumbo mice.

When you're feeding her one hopper, do you seen a noticeable lump? Generally what I do, is to feed that size until I can no longer see a lump, then move up. So for me, that corresponds to the earlier part of my post...

Yeah, I second Nanci's advice. Just feed her double hoppers every 7 days. At 175g (assuming she's otherwise healthy), she's ready for adult mice. Mine in that range are at medium mice and ~200g I switch them to large mice (basing off Big Cheese Rodent sizing). Then at 300g to jumbo mice.

When you're feeding her one hopper, do you seen a noticeable lump? Generally what I do, is to feed that size until I can no longer see a lump, then move up. So for me, that corresponds to the earlier part of my post...
Okay, I can handle the double hoppers every 7 days. The thing about the adult mice is that she's just not big enough around, I don't think. I should take some new pictures of her and post in the photo forum (plus, I need to post more pictures of my new 08s from Serpenco).

To answer your question:
Yes I see a noticeable lump, but she seems to digest very quickly (lump is gone in about 24 hours), which is what made think that maybe she needs to be eating more.

Okay, I can handle the double hoppers every 7 days. The thing about the adult mice is that she's just not big enough around, I don't think. I should take some new pictures of her and post in the photo forum (plus, I need to post more pictures of my new 08s from Serpenco).

To answer your question:
Yes I see a noticeable lump, but she seems to digest very quickly (lump is gone in about 24 hours), which is what made think that maybe she needs to be eating more.

Then yeah, double hoppers will be fine. I'm 99% sure she could take at least a medium mouse as well and be just fine. The general rule of thumb is to feed something that is no more than 1.5x the widest part of the body.

I was in the same position as you awhile back. I was feeding one of my females double hoppers, because I didn't think she could actually eat an adult mouse. I went ahead and tried an adult one night. It took her awhile to get the mouse down, but she handled it well. She had since ate adults for the last 4 feedings without a problem, and when you are just looking at her and the mouse...it doesn't look possible, but it is.
Also, she is just at 200grams.

Back