• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake swimming?!

So i tried letting checkers swim today, i filled my feeding tub up with about an inch of lukewarm water and put him in, he just kinda sat in there then i noticed the water was kinda cool probably because it was so little, it cooled fast so i put a glass of really warm water in and mixed it up and it was just the right temp, after i put the warmer water in he seemed to slither around a bit, but i dont no if it was cause he was scared of the water falling in or he just liked the warm water, although he tried to get out afterwards but the water rlly wasnt that warm so i know it didnt burn him. so i picked him up and as i was holding him above the water just about to bring him back to his viv, he, as i was warned, pooped on me and it just fell down into the water :p i thought it was pretty funny/gross. i dipped his tail in to kinda was his vent and then brought him back and cleaned it all up. Did he poop cause he was stressed or was it the warm water? what do you guys think.

Also it was his first time so i watched his breathing to see if he was stressed and he didnt seem to be. Any tips on exactly what to do to help them swim like water temp, depth, and anything else you can think of?

I want him to get some nice muscle tone, which is why im doing this, and also how often do you suggest i do it?

Also right after i put him back he ran to his warm side of the viv and i slightly increased the output on the rheostat i built, unfortunately i bought a thermo on ebay and it wont be here till next week so im going by feel but i no its not to warm.

When I have bath time for my snakes I usually put just enough water to submerge their body. The littler snakes usually just seem to float on top anyway. My Okeetee is crazy and will actually dip his head and swim underwater. I don't really bathe them too often, I would also love to know what is a good regimen for exercise since Emily is a little squishy!

You should measure the temp of the water it sounds like. You should not be putting really warm water in there. Really warm to you is waaaay to hot for a snake. Keep in mind opt temp is 85f and your body is 98f so what feels warm to you is much much warmer to your snake.

Stick a thermometer in there, you'll be surprised at how cool 85 degree water feels to us. My Indigo snake falls asleep in bathwater that feels to me like it should be too cool to be comfortable.

Back