• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes and airlines

aNi-DiFrAnCo

I may have to take a trip in the next few months for about 6 weeks or more and I would have to fly. How would I be able to take my snake (20 inches long) on an airplane? I have worries about her being in my purse and going through the carry-on check...the x-rays might be harmful. I know nothing about airlines' policies of herps (especially small ones). Anyone know anything of how I can go about this?

After 911 your chances of bringing something on the plane with you are slim. I'd suggest finding a sitter. Better that than getting caught and the two of you not being allowed on the plane.

If you must take it with you, the best way would be to ship it to yourself at the destination. You can ship it for overnight delivery and have it held at the express location in your destination. Then just go there when you arrive and pick up your snake. Just be careful to pack the snake properly (insulated box, cold pack etc.).

Mark

Thanks for the info..I was actually thinking since she is so small I could stow her away in my bra or something lmao.

Good idea. Cheap thrills. That is my style to. Maybe in a jock strap.They have those little snap compartments for the cup. Or in your case the corn snake.

JK,
Aaron

Jock strape: I'm just thinking or the girl that does the xrays when your going into the terminal seeing a corn snake in your jock. you might end up getting a date out of it.
I heard a story on the radio news one night about an ecscaped snake on a comercial flight. The guy tried to stick the thing in his carry-on. I was thinking that it sounded like something I would do. But I can just see him trying to explian that one.
Jason B.

How about disguised as food? Those deli containers can come in handier than we thought. :D (Kinda reminds me of that I love Lucy episode with the cheese).

Either find a snake sitter for your snake, or call the airline to see if you could carry it on like you can small dogs and cats. Also, if you can take it with you, make sure the state you're going to allows your morph of cornsnake to be kept. As long as the container you're carrying your snake in is completely secure (you may have to box it as if it were being shipped), I really can't see a reason the airline wouldn't allow it on as carry-on baggage. You may need a vet's travel certificate, just in case. It never hurts to ask, and you may get lucky!

....in all seriousness, I agree with Susan. Worst case scenario, it would be awful to lose your snake or risk trouble of sneaking it onboard.

Y'all are funny. =P

Anyway, I was wanting to take my Bearded Dragon with me on an extended trip out of state a while back. I couldn't find anyone to look after him while I was gone. So I called all of the airlines and checked.

My results: None of them will allow reptiles in the cabin, none what so ever. You also cannot carry on rodents such as mice or rats, and no insects at all.

They will allow them in the cargo hold. So about the only thing I can think of would be to package them up like you were going to ship them (taped and insulated box, lots of shredded paper, deli container) and when you check in at the counter, put it with your checked baggage. I've seen people bring boxes of stuff back with them after Christmas. So I don't see why you couldn't go that route.

I would however call them and make sure that you can do that before you get to the airport.

If all else fails, get one of those hidden money pouches that you tie around your waist with a pocket and pray you don't get picked for the random search. :D

We used to always send them as checked luggage...

when we had to fly to shows. But since 9/11, no airline (as far as I know) will allow this anymore. Vendors now ship them separately to shows as cargo (if you have known shipper status with one or more airlines) or through UPS, Airborne, etc.

As stupid as it seems, I have to admit that I would not allow reptiles as carry on (like cats and dogs) if I was in charge. Can you imagime some freaked out passengers, afraid of both flying AND snakes, suddenly discovering your pet at 35,000 ft.? They might try to open the exit doors in mid air to escape. People can really act weird up there - no need to give them more reasons.

But I can't really see any excuse for airlines to refuse herps as checked luggage like they used to. As far as I know, the cargo goes into the same area as the checked baggage anyway. I think it is an excuse to charge more for separate cargo.

Good luck!

Re: We used to always send them as checked luggage...

kathylove said:
when we had to fly to shows. But since 9/11, no airline (as far as I know) will allow this anymore.

"All right, we're taking over this plane! Nobody move or I'll let my faithful cornsnake, Buttercup, smell your ear!" ;)

I suppose I can understand the logic because some people -are- deathly afraid of snakes. Still, it wouldn't be an issue if they were kept in the container or left in the care of a flight attendant so there's no risk of you taking the snake out.

It is true there would be no risk if not taken out...

but I have seen some strange herpers who think it is funny to watch people's reactions to their pets (well, maybe it IS a little funny, but you still shouldn't expose them to snakes if they don't want to be exposed!). And some of those herpers might not have good enough judgment to restrain themselves. Or they might be drunk, crazy, etc. And the flight attendents probably don't want extra duties, or might be the worst snake phobics on the plane themselves! Unless there is a lot of extra money to be made to justify the added risk, expense, effort, and possible employee backlash, why should they bother? I wish it was different, but...

But there is still no excuse not to take them as checked luggage.

I would not try to hide them on your body as mentioned above! It could very easily escalate into a serious incident and you could be charged with artful concealment of a prohibited item. You would be arrested. It's not worth the potential hassle. Ship it or send it in cargo.

Mike

Yes, years ago I used to take a few in my pocket on trips for friends and customers, and didn't think anything about it. But everything has changed sine 9/11 and I won't take the risk anymore. I really don't know what they would do if they found out, but they are a lot more serious now than they used to be.

OK, I know I'm dragging up an old post.

In 2002 I went through the metal detector in LAX with a young iguana hanging onto the back of my tshirt (I was wearing a red hooded jacket over him of course). Once through the machine I went to a stall in the ladies bathroom and transferred him to my backpack. He slept throughout the flight. To make a lond story short, we landed in London, I went to the bathroom again and transferred him to under my top again and then went through the metal detector again to catch my transfer flight to Dublin.

Harvey's now five years old and has been on TV in the UK, being held by some guy you've all probably never head of, a certain Mr Simon Cowell.

Demonique said:
OK, I know I'm dragging up an old post.

In 2002 I went through the metal detector in LAX with a young iguana hanging onto the back of my tshirt (I was wearing a red hooded jacket over him of course). Once through the machine I went to a stall in the ladies bathroom and transferred him to my backpack. He slept throughout the flight. To make a lond story short, we landed in London, I went to the bathroom again and transferred him to under my top again and then went through the metal detector again to catch my transfer flight to Dublin.

Harvey's now five years old and has been on TV in the UK, being held by some guy you've all probably never head of, a certain Mr Simon Cowell.

Just FYI, it sometimes isn't a good thing to admit to these things on a public forum...lol. ;)

You know you could just call the airports information number and find out. Maybe you could just take it as a carry on in a legal plastic or whatever type of container its worth it to check it out. Let me know what you find out I'm curious too :).

Back