• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes and Hurricane Preparedness

Hello all,
I'm new to living in Florida and Hurricane season is here. I'm wanting to be prepared to jet town w/ my two snakes (One Grown Corn and One BALL). However as I have them both in aquariums I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on the best way to transport them and also be prepared for long run scenarios in case the house I'm in gets leveled by a huge storm. My latest thought is to have two 28 qt sterilite tubs that I can secure. I would take newspaper, some little ceramic bowls for H2O. and some cheap plastic hides like those $1 plastic wal mart bowls or something. Figured I could take a human heat pad to stick in between the two tubs if I was in a motel or something. I wouldn't feed them in this situation but this would just keep them warm if they needed heat. Anyway has anyone else done anything like this to prepare to up and run from storms with you're snakes in tow?

I've read posts about this before, seems like the plan you have in mind would work. that's what I'd do with mine in an emergency since I have a sterelite container to feed each of them in anyway. I did read someone say if it was a real 'i have no time' situation you could toss them into a pillow case, tie a not in it and go. I hope that you wont have to do that, but it's good to think ahead.

For those of us that have to have the Florida State permit to sell corns already have a written plan in case of a hurricane (fairly new requirement). The sterlite/tupperware tubs, newspaper, plastic water bowls, etc. is the plan. Since I have a larger collection as a breeder, I'll have to cohab for awhile (females together, males together, all of similar size/tub just due to space restrictions in the back of my vehicle. I also have some snake bags if needed. Not sure if I'll do the heating pad route as the temps here in Florida during hurricane season are warm enough that extra heat shouldn't be needed for the time frame most would be looking at.

For those of us that have to have the Florida State permit to sell corns already have a written plan in case of a hurricane (fairly new requirement). The sterlite/tupperware tubs, newspaper, plastic water bowls, etc. is the plan. Since I have a larger collection as a breeder, I'll have to cohab for awhile (females together, males together, all of similar size/tub just due to space restrictions in the back of my vehicle. I also have some snake bags if needed. Not sure if I'll do the heating pad route as the temps here in Florida during hurricane season are warm enough that extra heat shouldn't be needed for the time frame most would be looking at.

This is what I was wondering. And your post cleared up a lot! I was even already considering something along these lines but this was very reassuring to know I am thinking along the correct lines.

I live in the Tampa area. I'm a single guy with two snakes so I don't think it will be as hard for me to pack up and jet town as it would for people with a whole family or a lot of snakes. However I still go for being prepared. Have a good one guys/gals and good luck.

The cool thing about hurricanes is you get days and days to prepare. You don't really know where it's going, though the predictions get more accurate the closer it gets. There's a cool app for iPhones called Hurricane that shows all the current storms, the models, etc.

It's highly unlikely that your home would be unlivable unless it takes a direct hit from a high-intensity storm. So most likely you just need to be able to take the snakes and leave for a few days. (And most likely, you probably won't even need to evacuate). Traveling by car, the biggest danger to your snakes is heat. I would have a couple Sterilites ready to go, with aspen, with a small heavy ceramic water bowl and paper towel tube hide. (Don't give them water in the car). Then something like a cooler that you can put both snakes in, maybe in smaller containers, with a cold pack, which you would insulate. To be _really_ prepared, you could pick up a probed thermometer so you can watch their temps in the cooler- you want them to be in the 65-75 range, ideally.

You don't need to even think about feeding them while you are away- with all the exxcitement of moving around, you'd be asking for a regurge. They can go months without food, so a few days or even weeks is not a problem.

I forgot to mention the ice packs, Thanks Nanci for remembering! I have several large coolers and lots of ice packs in the freezer. I would use it to either put the snakes in (in snake bags as that is the only way they would all fit) or put an ice pack wrapped in newspaper in each tub if I didn't expect my A/C to keep the car cool enough while traveling. I would figure something out.

And as a reminder to anyone that may need a large quantity of ice packs, check with every vet in your area to see if they have extras and will save some for you. I get so many at work when I receive vaccines and other refrigerated products that we have a freezer full and can no way keep them all, even giving one away to every client that purchases a bottle of insulin (we are "diabetes central" at my hospital and go through a good 30 vials every couple of months). We get a variety of sizes and the one currently from Pfizer are awesome...the "non-sweating" ones.

Back