• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes on a Train Part 2

sciencechick

In January, a woman lost her Dumerils boa on the T. They eventually found the snake almost a month later, and now she is getting billed $650 for cleanup. They claim the snake posed a health hazard and they needed to clean the train.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/02/penelope_the_sn.html

On the one hand, I think she was an idiot to bring the snake on the train in her pocket. On the other hand, I doubt the snake posed that much of a risk. I think they had to stop the train for a little while to help her search for the snake, and I would have supported them billing for the search.

Thoughts?

At least she got the snake back! I hope no one ever carries raw poultry on the train...

Just 1 snake on a commuter train?
That's nothing...LOL
Try 11 on a 4day train trip. Just takes a bit
of responsibility to be sure all stay put.
In some areas she could have been arrested for
breaking rules of the trains
"No animals allowed on trains,
except certified service animals"

I thought it was around her neck or shoulders or waist. Foolish of her. I just can't believe they found it.

I always thought/think of humans as being filthier than reptiles. I mean, dirty feet (and whatever else) on a commuter train or subway....OMG. And children, and all that that means. I'd be giving snakey a bath.

Note : I am sure people with TB, HIV, and/or Hep C......neverrrr cough or sneeze or barf on a train.

While I think using the pretense of needing to sanitize the train a little ludicrous I see no issue with charging her. If I am remembering correctly a few weeks after she lost the snake someone spotted it on the train and a some people freaked out. They had to take the train out of service to find the snake.

The owner was irresponsible in taking a snake out in winter and she broke the rules of riding the train. She should take responsibility for her actions and pay the fine.

OK I didn't get the whole story right but it did cost them in man hours trying to find the snake.

"Penelope the pet snake’s long journey on the MBTA came to a happy end yesterday.

The Dumeril’s boa had slithered away from its owner, Melissa Moorhouse of Allston, while she was riding on the Red Line nearly a month ago. Moorhouse said she first noticed the snake missing as she headed outbound on the Red Line in the late morning of Jan. 6.

MBTA employees helped her look in the subway car in which she was riding at the JFK/UMass station, where they held the train for a few minutes, and performed a more exhaustive search at the Braintree terminus, walking through each of the six train cars and looking under the seats, with no luck.

But at 10 yesterday morning, a Red Line passenger spotted a snake and alerted a motorman, MBTA Transit Police Lieutenant Daniel Fitzgerald said last night. The train was taken out of service, but it was not until 8:30 p.m. that Red Line train attendant Sharon Lynch, a snake owner herself, got Penelope into a box at the JFK/UMass station.

“You can’t make this stuff up,’’ Fitzgerald said.

Moorhouse, 30, was thrilled that the MBTA had finally found her precious Penelope.

“I’m overwhelmed,’’ she said just before being reunited with the pet last night. “I’m extremely happy to have her back.’’

Moorhouse said she lost her nonvenomous pet, which is just under 3 feet long, somewhere between the Broadway and Andrew stations.

“I checked for her at Andrew and she was gone,’’ she said.

The car the snake was found in yesterday was part of the six-car set where Penelope got lost, Joe Pesaturo, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, said last night.

Moorhouse said the boa could hide in even the smallest of spaces and find food if she needed it.

“What I’ve been trying to tell people is that she would survive, she would be in the train whether it was weeks or months,’’ she said. “I don’t know if they have mice or rats but she is completely capable of eating them.’’

MBTA policy allows riders to bring nonservice pets on the T during off-peak hours. Dogs must be well-behaved and properly leashed, while small domestic animals must be carried in lap-size containers and out of the way of exits.

In August, T officials held a Green Line trolley for a short time in Brookline after passengers reported that they felt uncomfortable because of a fellow passenger who was carrying a snake around his neck. When police responded to the Brookline Village station, the man and the snake had already exited.

Despite her pet’s ordeal, Moorhouse, who had been carrying Penelope around her neck and under a scarf when she escaped, said she still plans to travel with Penelope on public transportation in the future.

“I’ll probably pay a little bit more attention,’’ she said.

Moorhouse will turn 31 later this month, and is elated that Penelope can celebrate with her.

“This is the most wonderful birthday present ever,’’ she said."

I can't remember which university did the study, but they inspected seats on commuter trains in 5 or 6 cities and then published the results. Almost was enough to make you never want to ride one for fear of what you might come in contact with. Definitely give the snake a bath!

But at 10 yesterday morning, a Red Line passenger spotted a snake and alerted a motorman, MBTA Transit Police Lieutenant Daniel Fitzgerald said last night. The train was taken out of service, but it was not until 8:30 p.m. that Red Line train attendant Sharon Lynch, a snake owner herself, got Penelope into a box at the JFK/UMass station.
Yay for Sharon Lynch, snake owner.

And I do not disagree with the notion that she should pay for the time the commute car was down. Her foolhardiness cost other people time and trouble.

Back