• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes on fabric?

hikisquid

sews all the things
I was wondering if snakes could feel textures through their scales.
Stig seems to love any form of fabric, especially soft fluffy fleece.
I sew a lot, so I have huge bins of fabric just all around the room. Any time I get Stig out, he always wants to investigate the fabrics. Once in a while I'll get out a big chunk of fleece and let him burrow through it, or crumple up a blanket on the bed and let him burrow for an hour or so. I figured at least it's good exercise.
SANY0188_zpsc4b966e5.jpg

Anyone else have a fabric (or other strange thing) loving snake?

oh yeah! ill agree with you on that, Sirius loves blankets especially fleece ones!
I even gave him his own little blanket for his viv, that I always find him curled up in. :)

so yes I do believe that they can feel textures.. and they obviously have a preference! ;)

Sheldon also loves going in my daughter's hair, he weaves himself in and out of it and then just lies there, it's sooo cute :)

My husband's corn, Casper, loves fleece, so my mom has made Casper a couple of fleece things that we need to go pick up (we've been sick). I'm not sure how my corn, Lily, likes it yet; I haven't had her out for long enough handling sessions to try it.

P.S. Stig is adorable! I love how his fabric is color-coordinated to compliment him.

:3 I had no idea that so many snakes loved fleece! I think I'll make Stig a little blanket later, I bet he'd love it so much.

Have you noticed that snakes feel with their tongue? I at least assume they do, since it seems to be normal for them to flick their tongue so they touch objects. Obviously they also sense touch with their skin, although their scales are a bit thicker than human skin. They probably also sense that fabric has more grip with their belly scales, as they can use the edge of the scales to help them with climbing/moving. I imagine it feels a bit like a human scraping his nails on different surfaces.

I'm not sure if they feel with their tongues.. but I'm pretty sure that they feel with their faces, I could tottaly be wrong! but I just moved serous into his new Viv, with all new nodes and things he has never seen before, and for the past 2 days he's been rubbing his nose and side of his head all over the cork round hides. I think he might be going into shed, but he can obviously feel the difference between what's soft and rough!

its pretty interesting to think about! :)

Back