• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakey no eaty

Tracee

Grrrl
Hello everyone I've just registered here as it's the only site I've managed to find where the users seem to offer real help, so thank you thank you in advance and I shall explain my problem :)

I've had my cornsnake Charlie exactly 4 years this week and he has always been a brilliant eater, in fact he ate the very day after I got him! Even shedding has never put him off a meal before.

He first refused a mouse on the 11th of January but ate a week later. I figured/hoped it was just because he was about ready to shed, which he eventually did on the 2nd of Feb. He also ate a mouse the same night. Since then, he has refused 4 attempts at feeding, and now I'm getting very worried.

He does seem in perfectly good health; bright eyes and skin colour, no lumps or bumps etc, the only thing noteably different is the amount of time he spends outside of his hideyholes. I've called him 'Sir Sleepsalot' a number of times as he's usually pretty lazy (!) but for the past month or more he has rarely entered them, he's very active.

I have not changed his environment in any way. The temperature is 80 degrees on the warmer side of the vivarium. I've tried heating the room further to raise the temp a few extra degrees. I've tried using tongs and waving food right in front of his nose. I did the unthinkable (to me) and cut it open slightly to try and tempt him, all to no avail.

The discussion about mice of different colours was interesting - the first one he refused was a black mouse (he's always eaten white ones) so I hope this isn't what's put him off.

I'm sorry for going on, I know 4 weeks isn't THAT long for a snake to go without food but for His Excellency over here, it's an ice age!

How long is a "safe" period of time before I should start getting really worried (and maybe seeking medical attention)?

I understand he's likely reached sexual maturity and could be looking for a mate or something but again, I can't imagine this would put him off his beloved food.

Any tips or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, he's a lovely little snake and I would hate for him to get ill.

Apologies for such a long post again. xxx

Sounds like you have an adult male with thoughts of Spring on his mind. I've seen perfectly healthy males go off of food for 6-12 weeks during the mating season.

Is this your only snake? Are there any females snakes in the house?

like you im in the uk. have the same problem every year at this time. once they get like this they have only 1 thing on their mind. mating. you can change temp. food or anything else. it wont make any difference. my male has now gone nearly 2 months without feeding. nothing to worry about. hell start again when good and ready.

Aww thanks for the reassurance everyone. 12 weeks, really? Gosh that's a long time for my boy to go without his scram!

He is my only snake, and yes I love him but there's no way I'm getting him a bird hehehe I don't want any mini-Sir's, one is quite enough!

Well..I guess I'll try him once a week from now on, and keep an eye out to make sure he doesn't show any symptoms of illness, just in case ;). Horny little bugger!!

THANK YOU :) I feel so much better now.

Back