• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sneezing?

Laine

I posted a topic a short while back about my 7 year old cornsnake having a Gooey Mouth I took her to the vet was was told that her temps were too low and I should raise them to 90 or the mid-90s. It's been a couple of weeks and her mouth is no longer gooey looking, but I noticed about three times in the past couple of weeks that she's flinched slightly and emitted a puffing sound, almost like a sneeze.

She's still eating normally, pooping normally, and drinking water as usual, but it just kind of scares me when she puffs like that.

She's currently on a bedding of Zoomed Reptibark. Her temps are 32.8 degrees Celsius(approximately 91 Fahrenheit) on the hot side and 26.5 degrees Celsius on the cool side(Approximately 79.7 Fahrenheit) I don't really do anything for humidity as I was told it wasn't needed. Could the substrate be too dusty and causing her to sneeze?

I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I'd like to be sure..

Sorry this one wasn't addressed sooner. 90 is very high unless you suspect an RI (which this could be) but you still need to provide a cool side. It's possible that your snake started a respiratory infection and it's still going on. You really should have it checked by a qualified veterinarian. RI's can be fatal if they go to far and require antibiotics to treat. You might want to remove all substrate and go with paper towels for now to make sure it's not the bedding. Is the snake due to shed?

I did take her to the vet, and he told me that it was minor, and to raise her viv temps to 90-mid 90s. Her mouth is no longer gooey looking and there's no other symptoms that she might be sick. She's still eating like a pig and drinking plenty of water. I've only caught her doing this three times, and it's like her whole body will flinch slightly for a moment and she'll make a soft "puff" sound.

She's been on the same bedding for 7 years, so I'm don't think it would be that, but I was wondering if it might be because I don't supply any form of humidity and if the bark might be too dry. I'll try replacing it with paper towel. One question though: I'm using an under-tank heater, would it be too hot on her belly if there's only paper towel in the cage? her current substrate is about 2-3" deep.

Also, she isn't due for a shed, she shed her skin about a week and a half ago. She was last fed on wednesday and ate two adult mice.

I haven't seen her "sneeze" in about a week now.

It's possible its' just a defensive response then. I have a few Green tree pythons and a couple of baby corns that will puff when I try to remove them from the cage. I would put your temps back to normal if the animal is recovered.

Laine said:
I did take her to the vet, and he told me that it was minor, and to raise her viv temps to 90-mid 90s. ............One question though: I'm using an under-tank heater, would it be too hot on her belly if there's only paper towel in the cage? her current substrate is about 2-3" deep.

I would think as long as your temps stays 90 to mid 90s it doesn't matter what substrate is used. You do have a cool side tho, right?

Lenny: Yes, the cool side of her cage is currently at around 79 degrees fahrenheit. She usually likes to lay curled up under her hide at the halfway point. her cage is about 3ft long, 16" wide, and 20" tall (I'm not good at listing dimensions, I apologize for any confusion), it's got three different hides, a branch and water dish inside it. I'm currently using Zoomed's Repti-bark for my substrate, I've been using it for almost 7 years now.

Meg: I'm not sure if it would be defensive, it's not when I'm going to handle her, all three times I've caught her doing it, she was just slithering around her cage.

Did you open the cage at the time or did you just hear it as she was out? Some of mine will puff and hiss even if you approach the cage.

Back