• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snow/Winter/White Theme Terrarium

SteveAlbert

Sorry if this was posted before, i honestly searched the interwebs for a good hour to no avail. Mayhaps i was using wrong terms. Anyhoo,

I'm looking to make an all/mostly white theme for my snow's home. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas/pictures? I'm using bark for substrate but anyone know of any more "fun" white ideas. Also, i was wondering if cotton balls are safe for snakes. I have a branch that i'd like to stick some cotton balls on for that winter look. I don't know guys, hit me with whatever you got.

It definitely sounds cool! I might suggest going with white fleece fabric instead of cotton balls though, as the cotton will eventually pull apart and look bad. Fleece is also less likely to get caught up in the scales, I let my snake burrow through fleece all the time and he's yet to get any "fuzzies" stuck. :)

Totally needs an igloo hide--but not the standard ones from the chain pet stores. Perhaps half a coconut made up to look like one? :D

And I've no idea how crafty you are, but you could make a background or hide out of carved styrofoam shaped in a glacial form, then coat it to make it waterproof and safe for the snake. I don't remember the exact details, but there are plenty of instructions out there on this, usually as fake rocks instead of ice.

As far as white bedding goes, I know there is Carefresh Ultra, which looks a fair bit like cotton balls, but can unfortunately be dusty--but in my experience with it, it has virtually no dust compared to regular Carefresh. It can be a mite expensive. Another suggestion might be Kaytee Clean n Cosy--it's soft and fluffy with a consistency of shredded kleenex, but isn't dusty. Sucked for rodent bedding because it just couldn't mask smell or hold urine well, but seeing as to how snakes don't smell and produce very little--and very predictable--wastes, it may work very well. :3

Really cool idea here Steve. Make sure to take pics along the way. I think Hiki nailed it with the coconut hide. Just wonder what you could use to paint it white that isn't toxic and will stick well. I'm sure there is some way.

I like the desert snow idea too.

If you go on google and search, "white rocks" and sort by images there are a ton of different rock/pebble combos out there you could use maybe on one side of the snake if you go with that white sand substrate.

Also, these rocks looked amazing but, I don't know anything about geology so no idea where you may be able to buy something like this. Gives it a snowy mountain feel:

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae267/dunesnstars/Tank/IMG_2541.jpg

One white surface material is fine acrylic spackel, ment to repair any cracks and dents on wood furniture etc. before painting. This is basically super-thick white acrylic art paint, or so. Just make sure it doesn't have any anti-mold/fungal agents in it, some construction wall fillers might.

Model/wargaming stores have white crystal powder called 'snow flock' that is ment to represent snow for scale models. This can be sprinkled on white wet surface, for example using some water-based clear coat to help the powder stick. This powder surface can then be finished with a couple of extra clear coats.

These two materials should work also in a vivarium, but I would suggest making a test piece first to make sure - you might have to experiment a bit to get them to stick firmly.

Just a suggestion; why not a high-contrast viv? Use the all-black or all-red aspen substrate, or try the pastel-colored Carefresh.

Back