• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

So confused...

amanda007

Read, read, read!
Okay, we're looking in to getting a "fire" corn:
http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/fire/

There's that for reference. But, since so many different breeders come up with different names for the same snake, I'm getting a little confused. "Fire" is defined as amel and diffused, but an "amel bloodred" looks like the same thing. But so does an "albino bloodred." Are they all just the same snake with different names? We're thinking about breeding in the future, so we'd kind of like to know.

And on a side note, is it true you can't probe a corn until it's over 2 feet long? That's what the herp vet in town told me, but they hadn't even heard of popping, and I've read/seen videos where people probe snakes that are definitely less than 2 feet.

They are all the same snake with different names. Fire is the trade name. Amel diffused/bloodred is the name of the genes involved in creating the morph.

It's all the same thing. (Bloodred/Blood/Diffused/Diffussion) and (Amel/Amelanistic/Albino/Red Albino) are the same terms just depends on the breeder like you have found. Fires are really nice I am looking at those too. I am thinking I am going to breed to get them though. I think it will be more rewarding than just getting one. I will have them like 8 years from now though. LMAO!!!

Popping is for babies (under 18 inches)!!! Probing is for adults and sub adults. Popping a large snake will cause damage to the reproductive parts of the snake. It will most likely get you bit too I would imagine.

Well I knew that popping was bad on big snakes. My snow is less than a foot still, so I tried to pop her (gently! I assure you) and I'm like 75% sure she's a she. I mean, it looked like it did in Kathy Love's video, where the vent just opens up a bit and a little flesh pokes out. And her tail tapers sharply right after her vent.

I'd really like to get a fire right now, but if I want to breed the two I need to know my snow's sex first. But the vet isn't too helpful with that. I'd really hate to get a male and have my snow turn out to be a male too, but I also don't want to wait a year until she's big enough to probe and then get a hatchling. It derails any breeding for another year. Which is a little annoying, as I'm sure you understand :)

I'd really hate to get a male and have my snow turn out to be a male too

But then you would *have to* get a female for each of them...;)

On a serious note, have you played around with corn genetics much?
Snow X Fire = Amel het Anery, Bloodred
If this is what you would like to produce, then I say go for it! The F2s will be pretty cool...

But then you would *have to* get a female for each of them...;)

On a serious note, have you played around with corn genetics much?
Snow X Fire = Amel het Anery, Bloodred
If this is what you would like to produce, then I say go for it! The F2s will be pretty cool...

Actually, I'm looking at one that is het anery hypo. So, if I'm doing this right, I would get 1/2 Amel het anery diffused, and 1/2 Snow het diffused. And from the Amel's I could get Fires, Snows, and Avalanches; from the Snow's I could get Snows and Avalanches.

I find all of these possibilities fascinating :laugh:

On a side note, I read some nut's article about using a flashlight to determine the sex of corn's that had at least a small level of transparency. So I shined a strong light on the tail of my little snow, and could see strait through where the hemipenes would be. So, I am now revised to like 90% sure She's a she. Also, I might mention, this procedure apparently causes snakes to lose control of their bowels while wrapped around your hand ;)

Back