• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

so how do you keep them in boxes, not glass?

SexyHero

I've seen pics and people have said that you can keep snakes in blanket boxes and things, how must oyu alter these for correct care? and what do you use as a lid that will keep them in?

Use the lid that the blanket box comes with, just make sure that there are not holes between the tub and the lid that the snake can get out of.

The 32 quart sized Sterilite box is what I use, shown here:

http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=38#

Drill, or melt, 1/8" ventilation holes about 1" apart along the sides of the boxes and use an under tank heater (use can even use human heating pads on the low setting).

One thing I will mention, to make the lid more secure (though I'm not sure it really is needed) I use large binder clips (you know, those things used to hold large amounts of paper together). I use three clips on each of the long sides.

The great thing about using these are the cost and size. You could easily keep it under your bed and each box only costs about $8.

For more info, check out other threads that talk about building rack systems, there are a bunch of photos showing the set-up of these tubs, specifically this one:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6027&highlight=rack+system

this can house an adult corn???
how much are your underground heater/ hwere do u get them

that is awesome....could easily hide my baby at college in one then, thank you so so so much! i really love how all of you on here are so helpful and friendly, you dont mind helping the newbies!

You can buy under tank heaters at most pet stores (~$10), or like I said you can use a human heating pad set on low.

There is also a type of heating element called flex-watt heat tape that you can use, however, you need to know a bit about electricity, because it's not fully assembled and you need to attach the cord, etc. You also need to have a thermostat rigged to it to keep it at the right temps, otherwise it will get too hot. This stuff is also usually only found through mail-order reptile supply stores.

Amanda E said:
The great thing about using these are the cost and size. You could easily keep it under your bed and each box only costs about $8.
You are filling my head with terrible plots to sneak a snake into my dorm. :cheers:

Just remember to keep your dorm room door closed when showing off the snake to your pals. An elementary precaution that I didn't take when I had a snake in my room. :(

LOL! Definatly keep the door closed! I'm going to talk to the dean this year and see if we can get our policy changed to include all animals that live in an aquarium...instead of just fish. :)

My only real concern is how my roomate will respond when my first question is, "how do you feel about snakes?"

LOL...most people our age have at least seen a nonvenomous snake and have touched it, so it wuld probably be fine... if this is your first time meeting your roommate, you might want to first introduce him to your snake...i've found with previous pets, they are much easier to say no when they havent met the pet... If you just bring it in and are like this is my pet, he/she is really nice and cool, your roomie will just accept it or get another roomie! If you have known this roomie, they may be more likely to trust you and like meeting your pet!

Back