• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

So, it's official -

Taxidermy

everything under the sun.
I will be getting either two sulcata tortoises, or two leopard tortoises by the end of november. My parents promised me chickens, and goats when we moved - but I wasn't as interested as I was before.

I was thinking for names, either Mickey and Mallorie after the two wanted killers in Natural born killers; or Harris and Klebold after the two kids, eric harris, and dylan klebold, involved in the columbine shooting.

who knows, the names may change.

also - :) I am getting a cape gopher snake from my uncle who no longer wants to look after his son's pet snake.

Lucky me.

If you have any names suggestions, let me hear them.

Taking the evil route, I see!
Well, you could always just google serial killers and see if there's one that just happens to strike your fancy.

What kind of enclosure are you going to build for them? Does it ever freeze down there? Wow- good luck. Please feed them properly so they have nice shells with no pyramiding.

I personally would not immortalize Harris and Klebold- for some reason I find that offensive, while all Robbie's evil dictators and serial killers and such don't bother me at all.

Will do - as babies they will spend most of their days in suitable vivariums, and, well when they get large enough' there's always the heated basement to build an enclosure in during the winters. :) It gets pretty hot in south carolina, during the summer.

I see how some will find the names offensive - i've just always taken interest in those two specific individuals. I'm sure the names won't be concrete - i've still got the rest of this month to think about it.

Congrats on the babies to come! Can't wait to see pics. I like Mickey and Mallorie. Those are my older burm's names ;)

Let me be the jerk and state the obvious...

I assume(I know...bad thing to do...) that you have thoroughly researched Sulcatas and their care? I will assume that you are aware they will grow to reach 75-100lbs in the first 6 years, and grow in excess of 200lbs throughout their lives, correct? You know that an "enclosure" is not going to work, that they NEED to be kept outside, with a large enough insulated house to get in and out of? You know that they WILL burrow under fences if the ground isn't compacted enough to prevent it? You know that they are tanks that WILL destroy property, break fences down, tear siding off of houses, and generally become bulldozers within the first 10 years of their lives? And you also know that theya re one of the most sought after pets, but are also one of the most consistantly surrendered and rescued animals in the pet trade because of these issues, correct?

My girlfriend and her mother run a turtle and tortoise rhab center near here. You'd be amazed at the number of people that fall in love with the little half-dollar sized hatchlings and within 5 years simply cannot provide enough room nor proper care for their 75lb monsters that are always hell-bent on destroying everything in their paths, including property, houses, and other family pets...and still are not full grown.

These animals are not to be taken lightly. They are, without a doubt, the reticulated pythons of the tortoise world. If you haven't experience with LARGE tortoises, I recommend something FAR more manageable like Leopards or Russians. They stay relatively small, and require FAR less room and maintenance to keep. People that are properly prepared for sucatas do well with them. People that get them as hatchlings because they "cute" are VERY disappointed when they have a couple of 200lb bulldozers running around their backyards and no "on/off" controls...

Just friendly words of warning from someone that has seen WAY too many abused, mistreated, abandoned, and destroyed sulcatas over the years...

Brilliantly put......:cheers:
Especially these bits...
I know it wasn't supposed to be funny... But it did make me smile:licklips:

and within 5 years simply cannot provide enough room nor proper care for their 75lb monsters that are always hell-bent on destroying everything in their paths, including property, houses, and other family pets...and still are not full grown.

These animals are not to be taken lightly. They are, without a doubt, the reticulated pythons of the tortoise world.

VERY disappointed when they have a couple of 200lb bulldozers running around their backyards and no "on/off" controls...
;)

I would totally go with the chickens and goats, that's still a dream of mine! But good luck with whatever you decide..

a guy I know who runs an unofficial reptile rescue has two of those - he brought them to the pet expo (for display). People would coo over the baby, then he would point them in the direction of the adult....a lot of the reactions were hilarious.

They're monsters in size and destructive power, and I personally think they live too long for anyone to responsibly think of keeping. How do you re-home your 30 year old when you can no longer take care of it? They say the oldest was 56 with 80 years believed to be possible. I looked them up on wiki - they can dig 10 feet underground o_O

The leos don't look much better, being fourth largest and living over 100 years. Can you really re-home something like that, or are you planning on living 120 years with enough ability to take care of two tortoises?

Let me be the jerk and state the obvious...

I am hopefully correct in thinking that this is the one person on here who probably knows what to expect in an adult sulcatta. Could be wrong, though, and it's excellent info for anyone else who ever considers it.

Which gave me a thought-

Instead of buying hatchlings, why not rescue a couple?

I have taken all of these things into consideration, and of course I know what I am getting myself into. I'm nineteen, I'm pretty sure I can do my own research and make my own decisions by now. I know the majority of people here are warning me about these animals, but it also sounds like you're deterring me away from them. I have never been one, that's gets an animal and then grows bored of it - or forgets about it. I'd like to feel that I am dedicated to all of my reptiles and provide them with the best of care. I see why some people are coming down on me like this, yet, I don't? It's whatever, I know who I am, and what I am capable of - and if I feel that I am able to take on a "tank" of a tortoise; than why no go for it?

I won't surrender the animal, when I won't be able to care for it any longer - because, I know that I will remain dedicated to this animal, and take it's care seriously; therefore I will not have to.

Also, I'm not the only one that will be taking care of these animals - it was a suggestion from my father a couple years ago - and I was interested in his suggestion.

Also; I know these animals get monsterous - but I also have a monitor, tegu, and boa under my belt. Don't you think I would have thought about size, and caging requirements as well with any of those animals? If I couldn't provide for any one of them, I wouldn't have gotten any.

I don't mean to sound judgmental, but at 19 you hardly know how the rest of your life is going to swing. If someone told me when I was 19 I'd move across the country, fall in love with city livin' (I was a country girl previously), and take a liking to international travel I'd call them nuts. If I saddled myself with a burden like a sulcata at the time, I would not be living my life now how I want too. What about having a career, family, or property? A pet like that is going to limit your options, and you have so much more choices ahead of you.

19 is very young, weather you see it that way or not. And you won't live long enough to take a care a leo it's whole life, so there is no possible way you can.

I would agree with the above that these species should not be owned by the regular individual. Your life will surely change within the next few years, so I would not take on the responsibility on such a large, exotic animal that can live so long unless there are special circumstances....well I hope it all turns out for you!

What is the interest in names of killers? I just don't see that appeal....in the least.

I would agree with the above that these species should not be owned by the regular individual. Your life will surely change within the next few years, so I would not take on the responsibility on such a large, exotic animal that can live so long unless there are special circumstances....well I hope it all turns out for you!

What is the interest in names of killers? I just don't see that appeal....in the least.

:) the names are different, I guess.

Also, thank you for the insight V_various

I just showed this thread to my brother who was looking into buying one.. It turned him right off them.. but he was in the very early stages of researching. It's harder to hear when you already have your heart set on one.

Not as exciting to some, but I had a box turtle when I was a kid, very cute little monster that was like puppy dog tame.

By the way Taxidermy, great and very mature responses. I'd say that if you do wind up getting one or not, you seem to be HEARING the sense of what people are telling you.. Kudos to you!!

Tom, does your brother live in California? He should adopt a desert tortoise! I think they are always in need of homes for them! They inspect your enclosure before issuing you a tortoise, to make sure it will be housed properly. I can put you in touch with a person, if he wants to do that! I think if/when I get another species, it's going to be a hibernating grazing tortoise like a Greek or Russian. I am really in love with cherryheads, but I want something that can stay outside year 'round.

Thanks Nanci! He's researching them now, and dens they would need.. We'll contact you if it's something he decides to go with.. I would do it myself if I had a yard, lol!

Back