• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

soaking

lovehatepassion

i adopted a very fat adult female corn snake yesterday.

now this may seem like an odd question. none of my other snakes like to soak. i've read that high humidity or tipping over the water dish can cause scale rot. the new corn climbed into her water dish around 11 last night. (16 hours ago) and she is still in there. she is completely submerged except for her head, seems to barely have moved since last night. is this okay? she does not have mites.

How are the temps on the floor at the warm side? Might be worth a double-check with a different thermometer, just in case. My King sulks in his water bowl if the room temp gets too much for him!

Is she about to shed? A smaller water bowl and a humid hide might do the trick.

I think if she stays in there much longer, I'd be inclined to swap the bowl for something so small she can't sit in it anyway. Scale rot will be a risk if she stays in there.

Temps sound fine.

Maybe she's just throwing a new arrival wobbly? They're bound to take a while to settle in. Try throwing a couple more hides in, or some ground cover - at this stage, even scrunched up newspaper would do. See if you can persuade here that there are better places to be than the water bowl!

Sometimes you have to wonder what goes on in those scaley little heads...!

Back