• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

some advice

terry fielder

everythings ok at the moment because my snakes little but when he grows up I'm going to struggle to pick him up because of my " disability" would there be problems if i handled him less when he's fully grown
regards
Terry

Well, it all depends, i mean if you left him when hes older he could go wildish, and then hed just bite and not be very plesent, but it all depends, have you got a arm disability "sorry to be rude" its just better to know what you have, like if its a leg disability then you can sit and hold ect.. ect..

I don't think you have to handle him at all if you don't want to, except for general maintenance things like removing him so you can clean his viv completely. But wouldn't a bigger snake be easier to handle than a small one?? Depending on his temperment, he may stay nice and tame with infrequent handling, or he may not.

Nanci

will i use my left hand for every thing ( my right hands useless) and i think holding a bigger snake 1 handed mite be hard, i guess it'll be a case of try it and see and because i use a wheelchair I'm worried that he might escape to someware i cant reach
cheers

Could you use your left hand to wind him around your right hand, and then reposition him as needed? I think I'd train him now as a baby to just sit still in your left hand- to coil around it- so he's used to that behaviour when he's a big adult.

Nanci

ok ill try that for a few weeks thanks for the help ill tell you how i get on and have you got any tips to stop him crapping on me

Have you tried asking nicely? ;)

It's just a nervous reaction; continued handling will settle it out...

As far as being in your 'chair a good hook or tong on hand would probably be invaluable. Older corns are easier to hold than hatchlings, so you'll have it all figured out by the time it is an adult :*)

Is he actually crapping, like a big black and white poop, mouse-sized, or is he musking- like clear or pale yellow liquid? Musk is from fear- and he'll grow out of that as he becomes used to being handled. Real poop is from exercise that he gets when you get him out, which stimulates his bowels. Not much you can do to avoid that unless you want to wait till after he poops to handle him.

Nanci

I can see how it would be difficult to hold one with one hand. I'm just picturing trying to shake one out of my sleeve without usuing another hand. And sometimes it's a struggle just to un-tangle the snake from the branches and stuff in it's cage. I'd say just keep the cage simple. One branch you can pull out, then pull the snake out. And wear short sleeves. Maybe try to make sure someone else is around in case he starts getting out-of-hand (pun intended).

I don't think you have to worry about not handling much as an adult to keep it tame. Different snakes, but I changed my spotted python from deathly afraid of me to tame as a kitten by handling him once or twice per month. I personally think snakes do better if they have several days of "quiet time".

To be quite honest, I don't handle my snakes all that much. They are all still gentle as --uh, I was going to say gentle as kittens, but those little buggers have claws--so insert simile of your choice here. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think adults are easier to handle as hatchlings. They aren't as quick nor as flighty. Still, if you lack confidence, I agree with Checkerbelly's suggestion of having someone else there.

Back