• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some little questions

Morticia

Is it true that you may not handle a snake if your hands are cold?

I want to tame my corn, but when I want to pick him up, he moves VERY fastly into one of his hidings , so I cannot grab him I think.. How can I make him 'stop' that so I can grab him and let him get used to being handled..?

(My corn is now +- 6 months and 2weeks now..)

As my corns are in tubs, and have cardboard tubes as hides, I just remove the hides 1 at a time slowly, then reach in and pick the snake up. If the snake is wriggling about fast, I just rest my hand in the tub until it settles, then pick it up when it's calm. Hope this helps

My hands aren't usually too cold unless I've just come in from outside or have been handling something cold so I don't usually worry about it -but if you are worried about your chilly fingers upsetting your snake, just run your hands under pleasantly hot water for a moment to warm them up before you take your snake out. I just reach in and pick up my snakes if they've shown that they're aware of my presence but if they seem unaware (sleepy or in shed) then I might gently pat them with the back of my fingers just to let them know where I am before I pick them up so I don't startle them. I have a couple who are a little less social and with them I offer them the back of my hand (like you would with a dog you don't know) for a moment first.

I hope that helps... :cheers:

He's still very young and will be a bit afraid of you. Cold hands are probably nothing to worry about :)

The eastiest solution would be to pick him up quicker! Don't give him time to flee into a hide! This may also have the knock-on effect of hopefully calming him down quicker.. it's not such an ordeal being removed from his home.

Or you could remove the hide first and use both hands; one to pick him up with and one to block his escape route :)

May I just take him from above, or is it better to slide my hand under him to take him out?

Thanks for all the reactions btw!

Do whatever works for you. Though obviously it's just going to be that bit more scary with a giant hand closing in from about :)

Lol, I start with their favorite hides first... I actually have two of my tanks on metal shelving now so I look at the bottom of the tank from below to see where in the substrate they might be hiding, then run my fingers through it till I have them. If they are on top of the substrate stretched out, I just scoop them up, (somewhere mid body). I reach down and scoop them into the palm of my hand (from below) if they are coiled. They pretty much coil around a finger or my wrist once they are being picked up, instead of trying to flee.. I swear the kings didn't know how to use their tails to hold on, (unless it's a mouse), so I have to be careful with them. The female king figured the prehensile thing out and will wrap the tip around a finger while in motion, but she still falls out of her branches while exploring the tank, so I still don't let her roam around my hand like the corns.

I've had mine afew months and hold him every day. When I get home from work he's usually in a hide so I just uncover him and garb him. At first he tried to get away, but now he usually just sits there and lets me scoop him up. My wife, however, still won't touch him.

I'd agree with CaptBogart, I usually aim for scooping mid-body. Luckily my corns are all ok except the littlest, and she is settling now. My ratsnake is a different matter, so I let him sniff my hands and test his mood before I even think about trying to pick him up

Billinms said:
...I just uncover him and garb him...

And where DO you find those tiny little clothes to put on him? :grin01:

Sorry, I coudn't resist.

Anyway, to a hatchling, a giant hand closing in from ANYWHERE has got to be terrifying. The best thing to do is to just pick him up as quickly as you can. He'll soon learn that you won't hurt him and will settle down some.

Back