• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some Questions

angel3115

We just bought a baby on Sunday. We have him set up in a 10 gal glass tank with eco earth, and an under tank heater. We've noticed he seems to hide in the eco earth most of the time. Is this normal?

Also, we put a light on top of the tank. Does he need a light?

The lady at the store said they feed them on Wednesdays. I just read on here somewhere to wait a week. It won't hurt him to wait the extra time, will it? We've already handled him, quite a lot actually. It's hard not to. I hope that didn't stress him out too much.

There is a sticky down in my personal forum on this site about the settling in period.

He doesn't need a light.

Is your UTH on a thermostat?

x2 what Nanci has said.

Read that care sheet :) get your husbandry corrected -- ESPECIALLY a UTH (heat mat) with THERMOSTAT -- and leave your new baby ALONE.

Yes, it stressed them out. To the snake, you are a predator. Until they get comfy in their new home, I say leave her/him be. And now that you've been handling "a lot" as you say, I think it is really important you don't touch for awhile. By awhile, I mean at least a week or two. Just change water.

With all that being said, CONGRATS! :) Welcome to the forum. Yes, what your snake is doing "is normal"; however, s/he is hiding because s/he's scared! (Also, they tend to hide most of the time as it is - they are crepiscular, meaning they come out at dusk and dawn in nature).

All the best! Looking forward to some photos in a couple weeks after things have settled down.

Yup, everything they said!!! Please don't handle your new kiddo for at least a week, it is one of the main causes for death in snakes, stress from moving into a new home.

Babies especially like to hide, no problem there. NO HEAT LAMP! That is a topic of contention on here, a few members prefer the lights but they do nothing for the snake, they dry out the viv and can cause bad sheds as well as possibly damaging their eyesight. A UTH needs to be set up before you get your snake, but since you already have it, make sure you get one right away, with a thermostat so that the temps can be regulated.

Read Nanci's care sheet towards the bottom of the page on her link for the best advice on bringing a new one home.

And I agree, we want pics as soon as you can hold him! You can also feed him at that time if you want, he should be pretty hungry by then.

Good luck!

I wouldn't say a heat lamp "does nothing" for the snake. Being exothermic creatures, raising the actual air temp is overall just as, if not more, beneficial to a snake than relying solely on ground heat. I don't know of any or a lot of actual proven evidence that belly heat aids in digestion. And I know for a fact it's not needed for proper digestion. They just have to get their body to proper temperature, which can be achieved just as easily from warm air as warm ground. Not that I condone heat lamps for everyone, but they are perfectly viable options. I currently use one. And, UTH aren't without their cons too. I currently use one of those too.

As for the OP...

1. Burrowing is perfectly normal. Especially for younger corns and especially when using substrates that are fun and secure to burrow in/through, ie aspen, eco earth, etc.

2. A corn doesn't need an actual light at all. Room lighting will be more than sufficient. Though a light on top or inside (in the case of larger pvc enclosrures, etc) provides more viewing illumination. But that's really more for the owners than the snake. You might find that if it is a normal light bulb in a dome fixture, it will increase the temp and will definitely dry the air. These are things to watch out for and consider. If you really want viewing illumination, I highly recommend LED strips.

3. It's always preferable to let new snakes have a week or so settling in period. This includes minimal handling and no feeding. It helps reduce stress and allows the snake to more quickly and easily feel more comfortable in their new home. Missing a meal for a snake isn't a big deal at all. It's really about the equivalent of an adult human missing lunch. In fact, accept this now. You will more than likely experience at least one and probably more feeding strikes over the years. Many adult snakes can and will go off feed for months, some reaching half a year or longer. You should get in the habit of weighing your snake before each meal though, so you can track weight gain and loss.

I wouldn't say a heat lamp "does nothing" for the snake. Being exothermic creatures, raising the actual air temp is overall just as, if not more, beneficial to a snake than relying solely on ground heat.

I reread my post, and, being an advocate of UTHs over heat lamps, I want to correct myself. Heat lamps do not "do nothing", but I think UTHs are the better option for corn snakes. A heat lamp has no benefit over a UTH as far as I can see but can cause problems including harming a corn's vision.

I have tried heat lamps and found nothing beneficial, only problems. I broke 3 bulbs the first week I used it, each time was just from the lamp sliding off of the top as I went to open the lid or a cat knocking it off. The bulbs are really delicate and expensive. There are lots of pros and cons that are argued on this forum, you can do a search. Some people think they should be the only heat source, most here would argue otherwise.

Back