• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some random questions

Mashedmelissa

Hey all!
I got a 33 gallon tank off craigslist for my little corn and I was wondering if anyone knew a place that sold mesh lids of that size. I thought it was a 30gal when I bought it cause thats what the guy told me, come to find out its 33 when I measured it (36x12.5"). I've looked at a few stores and websites but cant seem to find one. Know where I can find one or should I just make one myself?

Also I dont know if anyone will know about this but I assume the tank I got was used as a salt water fish tank and there is some cloudy residue all around the middle of the tank, and washing did not get it off. Anyone know how to clean it up? Thanks :)

Hi, Melissa! I use a lot of fish tanks and get my screened lids at either Petland or Petsmart. Make sure you get clamps (lots of them) as well.

As for the residue, unless it's actual scratching on the glass, taking a cloth soaked in vinegar and laying it over the area for an hour or so should remove the residue. Good luck!

If the residue is calcium form the marine tank, soaking in a muratic (sp?) acid solution will remove it better than anything I've used. Also, please support your mom and pop store over Pet Smarts if you have a good one. We're becoming a thing of the past!

Hey all!
I got a 33 gallon tank off craigslist for my little corn and I was wondering if anyone knew a place that sold mesh lids of that size. I thought it was a 30gal when I bought it cause thats what the guy told me, come to find out its 33 when I measured it (36x12.5"). I've looked at a few stores and websites but cant seem to find one. Know where I can find one or should I just make one myself?

Also I dont know if anyone will know about this but I assume the tank I got was used as a salt water fish tank and there is some cloudy residue all around the middle of the tank, and washing did not get it off. Anyone know how to clean it up? Thanks :)

You will probably have to make the lid yourself. Odd size tanks tend to be hard to get lids for.

The cloudy parts are probably calium staining or something to do with the salt. I have a ten gallon that was setup as a salt water tank too and am contemplating how to go about cleaning it. I need a container larger than it and a couple gallons of vinegar for one thing. Vinegar can clear calcium deposits REALLY well. I used it on cages that housed rabbits and guinea pigs whose urine is high in calcium.

Oh, that's not an odd size at all to find a lid for. 36 X 12.5 is the same footprint as a 30 gallon long tank.

That's the trick to look for--sometimes odd gallonage tanks are the same footprint as regulation ones--you just have to figure out what the footprint is to find the right lid. I have a 38g that is the same footprint as a 30g, it is just taller!

Also, please support your mom and pop store over Pet Smarts if you have a good one. We're becoming a thing of the past!
Amen to that!! Sorry, Chip, I forget about that because the chains drove our awesome locally owned stores out of business.

I never even thought about it being a 30 long lol. I havent seen any of those around either but I'm sure I can find one online. To my knowledge sadly there is only 1 or 2 mom and pop stores around here but they mostly have things for cats and dogs, no tank setups or anything :(

Any pet shop with reptile supplies will carry screen tops of that dimension. Screen tops and fluorescent bulbs are two of the things I most hate to have shipped!

Well like they say if all else fails order a lid online, there are lots of reliable pet shops online who provide reasonable shipping prices. If you dont have a visa card, or anything like that. There are alot of "article" writing websites which is an easy way to get some quick money into a paypal. The only challenge is finding someone who accepts paypal payments, if you dont have a debit card to link your paypal too.

Any pet shop with reptile supplies will carry screen tops of that dimension. Screen tops and fluorescent bulbs are two of the things I most hate to have shipped!

unfortunate neither petsmart, petco, or "pet supermarket" or something like that carry that size lid.. the world just hates me I guess haha

Back