• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some random quick pics.

GUS1

Hi, thought I would share some pics that I just shot.

Attachments

• CAMERA-1 080.JPG
    CAMERA-1 080.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 91
  • CAMERA-1 091.JPG
    CAMERA-1 091.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 91
  • CAMERA-1 098.JPG
    CAMERA-1 098.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 92
  • CAMERA-1 075.JPG
    CAMERA-1 075.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 91
  • CAMERA-1 085.JPG
    CAMERA-1 085.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 92
That is a beautiful snake, and I love the stone wall look. How did you do it? Is it just styrofoam? Love to do something like this.

ill second the above! that wall looks awesome! how did you do it? was it cheap? wouldnt mind doing something like this myself
stunning snake too! i love the yellow on the side of the head :)

Hey thanks for the compliments. The wall cost under 30 bucks to make. foam board, quick set cement, and concrete dye. The stones are are carved separately and then attached with silicone. Cement colored and painted on with a brush, about 2-3 coats.

Sounds fairly easy, if I can find the foam board around here. Our Lowes SUCKS and the local hardware stores are just about as bad. Thanks for the advice!!

The styrofoam board can be found in just about any home center in the insulation section. I picked up a pack of it for under 10 dollars. It had 5 or 6 pieces which measured 4'L x 2'w x 3/4" thick. Cheap and easy to work with. If you end up using the styrofoam, use a steak knife to make your cuts. They work better than razor blades.

I understand your concerns but I don't believe there is anything dangerous about it. Once the cement is cured, it doesn't come off so I know he can't ingest any of it. There are no sharp edges to hurt the snake. It has a very tight fit and is secured to the tank with silicone, so there is no way he can get behind it. Believe me, I covered every aspect of what could possibly cause any problems. Also this isn't the first one that I made. I've been keeping fish and building aquarium backgrounds for years. So if you are considering building one, just take your time and it will work out fine.

Awesome DIY vivarium! That's a very pretty display tank with an equally beautiful occupant. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Back