• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Some Tips for a Newbie

Tanziny

So in the last couple of years my husband and I have really gotten into herps of all sorts, we have cornsnakes, beardies, and a lone leopard gecko. We also really enjoy looking and reading all the stories about wild caught snakes etc that we get to read from you much more experienced people.

However we have a couple of questions and I figured this board was the best place to ask.

We live in South Central Kansas, we are familiar with the different kinds of snakes around our area (both hot and not) and we have access to 4-5 lakes, nature areas.

However we have seen multiple snakes this year, but would really enjoy catching one to photograph. Can any one give the newbs some tips on best ways, times of days, precautions etc, to actually get a wc snake in hand.

Neither of us are afraid of being bitten or musked, we are very careful to properly id the snake before we get to close. But we just dont seem to have the knack. Any suggestions would be GREAT!:eek:

When I was a kid in Kansas we would flip rocks, boards, and whatever else and find them all over the place. Here in AZ I prefer to travel on roads at night. If you're any bit in the wild you should see them if you're looking out for them. If they're just hanging out, as opposed to being found hidden somewhere, it's often helpful to look a little far away. Like 10-20 feet or something. When they hear you they hide, so sometimes you can find them before they find you. They also like heat. So if it's a little chilly they can be found sunning on rocks, etc. Here in AZ (right now anyway) it's not hard to find heat and it's easier to find them at night. Hope that helps.

Back