• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Someone Please correct me if I'm wrong...

HadesBP18

Poopsy Woopsy Luver
CORRECT: Corn snakes should an appropriately sized prey item based on the widest part of their body.

They DO NOT eat things 3 times the size of their body.

HadesBP18 said:
CORRECT: Corn snakes should an appropriately sized prey item based on the widest part of their body.

They DO NOT eat things 3 times the size of their body.

1.5 times the girth of the snake is the usual measure for recommended prey size in captivity. Of course, many snakes CAN eat something three times their girth.

Thank you. So you'd agree that a yearling corn snake should not eat a hopper rat when the widest part of their body equals to a mouse fuzzy? *long story and I'm doing this to prove a point to someone*

You don't have to stick to prey that is exactly the same width as the snake. Like Dean said above, you can feed a prey item that is larger than the widest part of the snake's body (usually 1.5x). It is not suggested to feed something that is 3x the widest part of the body. Although they can eat something this large, a regurge is a very real possibility.

HadesBP18 said:
Thank you. So you'd agree that a yearling corn snake should not eat a hopper rat when the widest part of their body equals to a mouse fuzzy? *long story and I'm doing this to prove a point to someone*

I wouldn't automatically agree, since I don't know the actual size of the snake, or of the rat hopper. In keeping with what Zach and I have already stated, if the rat hopper doesn't significantly exceed 1.5 times the girth of the snake, it could be ok. I don't use rats, so I don't have a good concept of how big a rat hopper is. I've broken the 1.5x rule a few times, and some of those times resulted in regurges.

HadesBP18 said:
yearling corn snake
A yearling corn snake is a fairly 'vague' term to use when deciding on size of prey item. I have some '05 hatchlings that are almost as large as a yearling corn that's on hoppers. I also have quite a few yearlings that are on mice. They're '04 hatches to be exact, so are year-and-a-halflings to be more precise, but have been eating adult mice since late September.

Your point may not be proven depending on the actually size of this yearling you're refering to. :shrugs:

D80

Ok, he's about as thick as a nickel maybe. Rat hopper bigger than a silver dollar. Don't think so. But of course "regurges are a natural thing and don't hurt the snake" yeah right.

My yearlings are taking rat hoppers or large adult mice, whichever is available. It just depends upon the size of the snake.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a corn's enclosure drop down to 70 degrees at night and 85-90 during the day? I'm wondering if snakes turn their digestive systems on/off with the time of day . . . ? Just wondering, cause I saw this information posted in a care sheet somewhere . . .

Personally, and maybe I just have highly intelligent corns or something, but I have never had a corn snake fully eat a meal that was too big for them. I have in the past inadvertently place a too large meal in with them (too large in their opinion, not mine), and they refused to eat. Replace it with the next smaller, and they ate just fine and dandy. You would think as a living, breathing entity created by nature, that they would seem to know their limit. Just me I guess . . . :shrugs:

D80

Back