• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Something I've been wondering about the scales

bryansnake

I've seen lots of pictures of people's snakes here, and the shape the scales make on their heads. What I've noticed, is that I see the same 3-5 different variations of design. Does that mean all these snakes have been bred down from a common progenitor?

I am assuming you mean the head patterns.
Corns, in the wild, have same/similar patterns. So, no, it is not necessarily due to being bred down from a common progenitor. Different wild Corns had been, and still are, used.
However, heredity can play a part in some other uncommon, or "unusual", patterns/markings.

I have seen a certain head pattern show up a lot in F1 and F2 from my miami phase male (R.I.P.). It's a 'Y' with the 'leg' pointing towards the nose, sometimes the leg is shorter and it's close to a 'V'.

mine has this accent C shape to it. I also think it looks like the goosebumb books G inverted. haha.

picture.php

She's the only one I've seen with this pattern so far. I've seen others with a "full" version where it's like an accented O.

Cool. :) the other thing I've been wondering, is if someone can tell me if she's motley or banded? She came from a pet store, and their breeder was only listing her as a Miami. I saw someone else's picture of theirs calling it a Banded Miami, and it looked a lot like her, but I always thought she was motely. Does anyone know for sure by looking at her? There are more side-on pictures in my profile if that one isn't good enough.

Can Miami's be just Miami phase then? No added scale variation? Here are side on/body photos for a better view. Sorry for the blurriness.

picture.php

picture.php

A miami can be 'just' a miami. It is a trait jut like amel, anery, hypo and so on. There are miami motleys and miami stripes, but yours is a miami without a pattern mutation. :)
Btw, miami banded is a miami motley. There are just a lot of motley patterns.

Thanks so much. I'm finding the genetics of corn snakes to be really fascinating. And when I read about the different names associated to my snake, I had to ask. These animals are just so interesting :)

Back