• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Something wrong ...shedding problems

sarah12312

I have a about 1.5 year old corn snake and a about 9 month old great plains rat snake.I have never had any problems with my corn snake but right now my rat snake is having major problems shedding.

I fed my snakes just before I left for a week to banff, alberta. I came back after a week (someone was supposed to be checking up on them and feed them once while I was gone but, long story short, he couldnt find the cage in my house..) When i got back from my trip I checked on them, the corn snake was fine but when I found the other his face looked fully - extremely crusted over and his mouth was slightly open, as if he couldnt close it. I figured he was just shedding and decided to leave him alone for a day to get it off, it is now 3 days later and he looks worse, I don't know what to do.

He looks small and withered everywhere, especially his neck, I thought this was dehydration so i tried to get him to drink water but the skin on his face is still on his eyes and i dont think he can see much so he just bites everything

I'm so worried and I don't know what to do :( I have always taken really good care of my snakes I really don't understand what's happening :'(

Any help at all would be appreciated so much

soak him in warm water(slightly above room temp)
then place damp paper towel or towel in his hide and keep it damp until he sheds,

the soak should soften the shed up enough to led him get it off.

Ah thanks so much for your reply, I was freaking out because I'd never seen him look like that before. I called my local reptile store I got him from and he said to use a wet q-tip to help him get it off his face. He told me it's common around this time of year because of the dry, cold weather.

So he's fine now, I was just freaking out I thought he was dying, as silly as it sounds :p Anyway thank you so much, I'm just happy he's okay!

glad you got him fixed up, many people use a damp cloth, i prefer to just get the skin softened up and let them get it off themselves.

If it doesn't come off in your first session, you could try putting a humid hide in with him. That will give him a local area of humidity in his tank that he can go and sit in. It should help any remaining stuck shed fragment soften and loosen, so he can work it off himself.

Back