• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sound issue?

Inked_lil_girl

Is there a thing as to much sound for a corn snake? My boyfriend just got a digital piano and loves to play he hooked it up to some very nice speakers and well it very insanely loud and he plays it in the same room as my snakes. Think this could be an issue? I’ve checked on them and they seem to be okay when he plays. But I don’t know for sure.

Snakes are very sensitive to vibration,

This i imagine would upset them, Id think about moving him or them.

As snakes don't have ears, they don't hear the sound....BUT, they can feel the vibrations of the music, which can stress them out, which can lead to a variety of problems. You could try to move the speakers as far away from the snakes as possible, and see if that helps...OR you may not have any problems at all...I have acouple of snakes that aren't stressed out by anything (that I've come across anyway), and then I have a few that are stressed by the smallest thing.

Hope this helps.

terrysangel79

In contrast, some seem to actually like the vibration of music. No way to know for sure of course, you can't exactly ask them.

You don't say how large the room is... "very insanely loud" I would imagine is too loud. Use your own judgement as to how your snakes react, and tell the boy to keep the decibels as low as poss!

Unless the viv is sitting on top of a speaker cabinet, I wouldn't give it much thought. My snakes have been jamming to Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Savatage and the like for years! And at volumes that disturb neigbors! :grin01:

Haha excellent! Mine looves Muse and Pink Floyd, but draws the line at Iron Maiden.
I get glared at for that..

If you tap on the glass to get their attention does it scare them? The reason I ask is this: We resided my house, my girl Nona, who doesn't like to be tapped at, hid for the entire time, and two weeks after. My girl Lady who comes to see what's going on if I tap on the glass, was out for that period of time, and started hiding more once it stopped. So... basically it's up to you. We all know that snakes have their own personalities that only you can see. Watch them for a few days and you'll know if you need to move them or not.

My guys don't seem to mind it either... and I listen to music thats a lot harder than Iron Maiden. I think they may actually like the double-base speed drums of some of the bands I listen to :)

Like all new things, if they are disturbed or stressed by it, once they realize that nothing harmful or otherwise "bad" will come of it, I would imagine they will become adapted... much like the "concert-ear syndrome" that we experience.

What..........????

terrysangel79 said:
As snakes don't have ears, they don't hear the sound....
Just as an interesting side note, snakes do have an inner ear, and a functional sense of hearing. I believe there were experiments done a few decades ago that determined they can hear sounds at the volume of human conversational talking.

Whether or not they would be disturbed by any particular music is a different story. I agree with the general consensus that it will probably vary from individual to individual. :)

Back