• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

SPCA leads by example ...

Poor dog. But I will admit that it is easy to forget a pet in the car if you are tired. I left one of my cats in his carrier in my car AT WORK for about an hour, but fortunately it was in winter. I felt like such a terrible cat mommy. ;_;

That poor dog. I'm sure she feels terrible but imo she shouldn't be exempt from cruelty law, she should be prosecuted like anyone else causing suffering to an animal.

That poor dog. I'm sure she feels terrible but imo she shouldn't be exempt from cruelty law, she should be prosecuted like anyone else causing suffering to an animal.
Like the police dogs that were cooked by an experienced dog handler here a couple of months ago....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&meta=&tabs=uk&newwindow=1

People don't realise how hot cars get.....
DYK..... I sold a pair of Carpets to an experienced snake keeper a few weeks ago..... He put them in a locked car to look for more snakes at the snake expo...... They died within a few hours....... And he tried to tell me it was my fault.....
Thats another rant that I'll lay on you one day... Grrrrrr
Peoples don't realise how hot cars get on hot days.....

Accidents happen, but when those who "preach" the word end up doing exactly the opposite . . . ?? :shrugs:

D80

People assume things. Later, when things don't go as assumed, they say they "didn't think whatever would happen". Often, they don't realize there's a difference between 'thinking' and 'assuming'. So to cover up their tracks, they often say something to try to make you feel sorrier for them, rather than sorry for the victim. It's not much different than the python/girl story. Same plot, different characters.

...she didn't put the dog in the car, her husband did. The dog was sixteen, and probably so used to being in the car that he didn't make a peep. This was absolutely tragic, but I don't think she is entirely to blame.

...she didn't put the dog in the car, her husband did. The dog was sixteen, and probably so used to being in the car that he didn't make a peep. This was absolutely tragic, but I don't think she is entirely to blame.
Completely and utterly agree, and furthermore it's the SPCA not PETA. The SPCA does so much for neglected and abused animals without preaching, and in my opinion it would be a shame to charge her. If the dog lived to be 16 then clearly it was pretty cared for up until that point and to me it's a tragedy; accidents happen!.

Completely and utterly agree, and furthermore it's the SPCA not PETA. The SPCA does so much for neglected and abused animals without preaching, and in my opinion it would be a shame to charge her. If the dog lived to be 16 then clearly it was pretty cared for up until that point and to me it's a tragedy; accidents happen!.

I don't know... If you're being lenient JUST because the person is from the SPCA then IMO THAT is wrong. Her being with the SPCA should hold her to a HIGHER standard if anything. Say the story was about my brother (average joe citizen) leaving his dog in the car. Would you be as lenient on him and say, "accidents happen"?

I think not.

I will agree that accidents happen though... it is indeed a tragedy.

I don't think the person should be held to a higher or lower standard based on being a part of the SPCA. However, her record of caring for animals has to be considered, as well as the intent, and health of the long lived 16yr old dog. I find it hard to believe when people say they accidentally leave a child or dog in the car, but can't be the judge and jury based on what I think. A 16yr old dog being placed in the car by her husband might have never made a peep, and I just can't flat out call her a criminal, and offer what I deem reasonable punishment. Animal cruelty is far too common, and horribly despicable, but negligence/forgetfulness can happen to a lot of otherwise good people.

I don't think the person should be held to a higher or lower standard based on being a part of the SPCA. However, her record of caring for animals has to be considered, as well as the intent, and health of the long lived 16yr old dog.
Doesn't the Highlighted and Italicized part contradict the Italicized part? You say she shouldn't be held to a higher or lower standard... then hold her to a lower standard because her "record of caring for animals has to be considered". Sounds contradictory to me.

THEN, you say we have to judge her intent... HOW does one do that???

ADD to that... Now we have to look at the health and length of life of the animal in question... so if it were a puppy she should be "more" punished... but because it was a 16 year old dog that must have its paws in the grave, she should be simply forgiven?

Sometimes I just wonder...

I think simply saying it was a tragic mistake would be better than trying to justify/rationalize/sweep it under the rug.

Completely and utterly agree, and furthermore it's the SPCA not PETA. The SPCA does so much for neglected and abused animals

Only furry ones, when my SPCA asked the MOE to ban all pythons and boas for our province (ALL, yes, including spotted pythons and sand boas) they asked me never to come back when they found out I was fighting them. Not as a volunteer, and not as a member of the public either, even though I had continued to fight & volunteer for some time without causing any fuss.

Doesn't the Highlighted and Italicized part contradict the Italicized part? You say she shouldn't be held to a higher or lower standard... then hold her to a lower standard because her "record of caring for animals has to be considered". Sounds contradictory to me.

THEN, you say we have to judge her intent... HOW does one do that???

ADD to that... Now we have to look at the health and length of life of the animal in question... so if it were a puppy she should be "more" punished... but because it was a 16 year old dog that must have its paws in the grave, she should be simply forgiven?

Sometimes I just wonder...

I think simply saying it was a tragic mistake would be better than trying to justify/rationalize/sweep it under the rug.
Sure! I think my post was really diplomatic, but certainly not worth a meaningless debate over.

I don't know... If you're being lenient JUST because the person is from the SPCA then IMO THAT is wrong. Her being with the SPCA should hold her to a HIGHER standard if anything. Say the story was about my brother (average joe citizen) leaving his dog in the car. Would you be as lenient on him and say, "accidents happen"?

I think not.
Of course I would. Why would I prefer her over him?. I'm just saying that a 16 year old dog must have been well cared for, and I just think it's one of those strange tragedies, IMO. I don't think working for the SPCA excuses any abuse or neglect, but just that the SPCA isn't preachy and they don't deserve the "taken down a peg" treatment when their cause is just. That woman in probably devastated and I don't see what fines or sentencing will do. Suffering is punishment enough, that's all.:santa:

Ricky and Michael, I really do disagree strongly with both of you over this. I refuse to believe that anyone could drive around with their dog in the car wthout knowing it was there. I do not think there was intentional cruelty, rather there was thoughtless disregard for the animal's welfare. Disregard of the well-known and publicised risk of leaving animals in cars in hot weather. That faithful 16-year old dog was disregarded and left to die a horrible death.
Cruelty by neglect is an offence that has to be educated against if it's thought the person really didn't know any better, but it really can't be argued that someone who has dealt with cruelty to animals in their working life didn't know the risks and possible consequences of leaving a dog in a car in those temperatures.
IMO she should bear the consequences for her cruelty and the suffering and death of her dog.

Ricky and Michael, I really do disagree strongly with both of you over this. I refuse to believe that anyone could drive around with their dog in the car wthout knowing it was there. I do not think there was intentional cruelty, rather there was thoughtless disregard for the animal's welfare. Disregard of the well-known and publicised risk of leaving animals in cars in hot weather. That faithful 16-year old dog was disregarded and left to die a horrible death.
Cruelty by neglect is an offence that has to be educated against if it's thought the person really didn't know any better, but it really can't be argued that someone who has dealt with cruelty to animals in their working life didn't know the risks and possible consequences of leaving a dog in a car in those temperatures.
IMO she should bear the consequences for her cruelty and the suffering and death of her dog.
:cheers: Especially the part "I refuse to believe that anyone could drive around with their dog in the car without knowing it was there." If that dog was as loved and cared for as is being assumed, it made its presence known. Period. Of course, I don't know jack about caring for dogs, but oh well. :rolleyes:

D80

Although I have no love of humaniacs or their organizations (and I have not researched this particular organization to know where it falls on the scale of humaniacs), I did watch a tv show once (Oprah, I think) about people who left their children to die in hot vehicles.

The interviews were so tragic. Most of the time, the parent had changed something about their usual routine - different parent taking the kid to daycare, etc. And the child was asleep when they got to work, parent attention was focused elsewhere, and they just forgot, until something reminded them. Although I never left a kid or dog in a car, I did once leave a baby snake in a hot car, back in the mid 80s. I never forgot it - I felt so stupid. And I have forgotten other really important stuff that I never should have forgotten, although at least nothing died because of it.

It SEEMS like something like that should never happen. But after watching the show, and thinking about some of the stuff I have forgotten over the years, I think it could happen to anyone if you are not really careful, and if the child or animal is quietly sleeping someplace you just don't look. And ESPECIALLY if your mind is elsewhere, occupied by something important at home, work, etc. The interviewer said it is really important to use a cue of some sort. For example, leave your purse, wallet, or something else you will HAVE to get out, right next to the child or animal. You will probably miss that item quickly (if you choose the right item).

Although these events seem so tragic and senseless, I don't think I can judge the particular incident without knowing more details.

I have to agree with Kathy here and even Ricky and Michael. It is far too easy to have something slip your mind when other things are going on. I have never left an animal or child in the car, but my Aunt after having her 5th child left my cousin in his crrier on top of the car for 15 minutes while putting away groceries. She though my uncle brought him in an he though she did as they shuffled the other 4 kids in and bags of groceries inside the house. He was fine, but 15 years later she has never forgotten what she did. On a lighter note I leave my keys and purse EVERYWHERE and often, forget things I am supposed do, and forget things like b-days including my own. The story was sad and unfortunate, but abuse to me at least is beating, starving, and mistreating an animal knowingly- not having a terrible lapse of thought. I could see fining them for sure, but saying we know they were terrible dog owners may be unfair.

Back