• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sphagnum moss

klvan

When using sphagnum moss for shedding process, do you
need to process it in any way before using it? i.e.
boil, bake, etc. Our baby corn is mite free and wants to stay that way!

I don't know the first thing about sphagnum moss, but I've found crumpled wet paper towels and paper work extremely well.

First: Make absolutely sure your using Long-Fiber sphagnum moss and not sphagnum peat moss. There is a big difference. It is recommended that you use a dust mask when dealing with long-fiber sphagnum, since it can contain bacteria harmful to humans.

My personal choice is Mosser-Lee, since it claims to be bacteria free. Here's their website:

http://www.gardeningcatalog.com/soilconditionerspeat.htm

I'm

With Iris...I use wet paper towel. It works well and is very cheap. But I have nothing against real moss. But paper towel is easier for me and the snakes dont seem to mind.

:)

bmm

I use reindeer moss for my leos (I bathe my corns and mist tanks at shedding time). The moss I use for the gekkos is stuff I collect from outside so I give it a blast in the micro first to kill any bugs etc. Alternatively if you buy the stuff from a garden center it should be clean.

I bought a box of Zoo Med sphagnum. It is dry. You can soak it and wring it out for the proper moisture. You can also wash and reuse it. The instructions are on the box. A little goes a long way.

Edit: I didn't see when I posted that this was such an old thread! This has probably been covered several times over since this was started.

Back