• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Spiders

Nature

This is just out of curiosity. I was wondering if spiders can at all be a threat to escaped corn snakes? On the west coast, we tend to have hobo spiders and some places have found the brown recluse. These two spiders can leave a big rotting wound on your skin after biting you.

I've noticed some large spiders in this house, which got me wondering, but I haven't been able to tag them as a directly dangerous specimens. Mainly just Giant House Spiders, but then for all I know they could be a danger anyway. I've never read about spiders as being any sort of issue at all, but you never know.. o_O

I have no intention of letting my future corn escape on me, nor let it run around unsupervised or anything. This is just one of those random 'what ifs' that come to mind. ;)

My girlfriend is crazy...

and she'll keep anything she picks up no worrys (even had a rinkhals - very poisonous african snake- in an ice-cream bucket once) and she used to hold snakes and spiders together, they never bothered one another.

Don't think this is a rule but just out of some experience!

Hold them together in her hands or in one cage? o_O

I'm not terribly concerned or anything. It's just how some of these spiders tend to hunt, and don't always wait for things to come to them. It makes me wonder if any sort of bite could do bad damage to snakes, or if it wouldn't do much of anything at all.

Hold them together in a cage... Handling venomous snakes and spiders at the same time is a bit unsafe even for her standards.

I think poison is poison and that it might be leathal to the snake if bitten, but unless one is provoking the other they should both go past one another without trouble.

Hope this give you that peace of mind!

Back