• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Stands & Displays

Galataya16

I was just curious, I have seen so many gorgeous displays and stuff on here and some awesome dual viv stands and I was wondering if you all made your own or where you found them. I eventually am going to move my snakes into a large 40 gallon breeder or one of the 50 gallon terrariums and want to be able to stack them. So am looking for some ideas of how to maybe do that? Thank you all so much for your time and help, you all rock!! :)

If you have someone handy with building stuff, you can have them build a shelf/dispaly unit to set up a couple large tanks on, or build a whole stacking unit that holds 2-4 cages.

I have Animal Plastics racks and cages.

I personally love Animal Plastics cages. They stack and look great, hold great heat and humidity, and clean so easily. Boaphile, Vision, and Boa Master, make similar PVC cages.

My grandpa is really handy with building and creating so I could for sure get him to help me. Never gone about building anything like that before but he's created desks, tables, and such.

Looking up the animal plastics, how do you heat those? do the UTH work? I don't see anywhere on the photos of them either places for thermostat cords or anything either?

I use flexwatt heat tape, taped to the bottom under one end of the cage. There's a slot for the thermostat probe to go between the flexwatt and the cage, so it sits right on the flexwatt. I don't know if others do the same, but I also use an interior, probe thermometer as a double check.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape

I buy from here. They sell it by the foot and connect it for $1 to a plug-in cord, which I think is $4. Basically, a two foot section, connected to a cord, including shipping runs me about $17. Aluminum foil tape it to the bottom of the cage, stick in the probe from the thermostat, play with your settings until you get the correct hot spot temp (based on a secondary thermometer reading), and that's about it. I'm not handy at all, and it's very easy to set up for me.

So what are the pros of using this over using an UTH?

And I'm assuming because this can be used an UTH can also be used with the Animal Plastics cages?

I don't see why not. I would actually recommend emailing or calling Reptile Basics. They're very helpful and could help you get the right set-up for your situation, animal types, and climate.

WOW!! That is awesome and I love the black!! Ok, another question with yours since they are stacked.

Does the heat tape from the one above effect the temp in the tank below it?

Here is what mine looks like now. I like the glass but I really like that black, a LOT. I like to be decorative and get creative with them.

Any suggestions on how you would light the plastics with like a lcd wand?

10682035_10152667606227552_384762979_n.jpg

For example, my fire's name is Hades, his viv will be decorated with greek columns and I haven't decided if I will do a background of the underworld or of the Parthenon. If I want to keep it a little less dark. would like to be able to illuminate that also.

Thanks, a lot. I purchased a small florescent light fixture with the sticker type mounts, but they didn't hold. I actually super-glued the velcro mounts to the PVC, so I can still remove the light fixture when I need to change batteries or something. I don't light it often, hardly ever.

Yes, the stack helps to heat the adjacent cages, but not in a major way. I use a thermometer with a probe that allows me to measure the hot spot temp on the floor of the cage, and also shows me the ambient air temp. I know that I live in a warm climate, but I don't have any issues with keeping the temps right.

Your set up looks great!

They have their own room and it's closed off to the rest of the zoo so it stays pretty warm in there and I'm sure it will be nice and toasty in the winter and I'll have to block of the duct if it gets to warm.

Those really sound like great setups and I'll really have to look into it. Petsmart has a national geographic 36x18x18 for sale right now for $150 that has really caught my eye but they aren't ready for that kind of move up yet so definitely some options. I like the open front design with both choices also. That's nice.

Thank you! It was fun to do. The only thing that is out of there now is the viney thing over the hide in the back. It was a pain in the butt. Might use it in the other viv somewhere. Then I want a nice branch piece but I haven't found anything I like yet.

Back