• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Star marks on eggs

Jessica71

Just wondered if anyone else's corn eggs have lots of these star markings on. These are from a two year old anery corn - it's her first batch, and they were laid on May 29th (ten altogether). The markings were present at laying but have become more noticeable. Do you think they look ok? The temperature is around 82-84, humidity just over 80%; they're on dampish vermiculite. I'm sure it's not mold and they feel reasonably turgid. They became less turgid a week ago but I've made the vermiculite damper (I've experimented - when the humidity gets much higher the condensation drips off the box lid, even though there are ventilation holes). And they don't smell off. I tried to candle them and thought I saw something, but was nervous about shining light on them for too long so gave it up.

Any advice appreciated - I'm a first time breeder as well as the snake!

Thanks,

Jessica

Attachments

• P6180193.JPG
    P6180193.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 123
Thank you so much, that's a relief! I guess I'm worrying more because I've never bred before and it's hard to imagine they're actually going to hatch into baby corns in a few weeks...

Jessica71 said:
Thank you so much, that's a relief!

Heh. Ditto. I have a clutch of 13 that have those as well. Due to hatch in about a week. Forgetting the star marks, they look very healthy.

(Yours and mine that is.)

:)

Thanks a lot! Look forward to hearing how you go - you must be excited at the prospect of having 13 baby snakes soon! :)

Aye.

To add to the 14 already hatched and the 15 or so due to hatch in about 3 weeks .... lol.

Beginning to wonder if breeding all three females this year was such a good idea .... buuuuut you gotta love the little wrigglers haven't you. :)

Yeah, I know. As I said it's the first time I've bred but keep thinking about breeding options for next year - we've got three trinket snakes too, and a young anery striped male and young fluorescent amel female who should be ready by next year... but where to put all the hatchlings!... And will our friends ever come round again??

I've seen the "star marks" and always thought they could either be a lack or excess of calcium, or perhaps the snake just didn't have a homogenous material used as eggshell, a minor problem but not an awful one. Here's one of my kingsnake clutches (the biggest egg is 3 inches long!) ... two of the eggs have "windows" as well as the "star marks" .

Attachments

• clutch060205.jpg
    clutch060205.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 101
Thanks Sasheena. I feel quite reassured after all you guys' answers, and it's nice to see pics of other eggs that look like my anery's! :)

I had a clutch of lavender eggs last year that were not fully calcified. It was a second-clutch and so it made sense to me that it was lack of calcium which caused the shells to be so incredibly thin.

Here is the clutch early on in incubation...
post-6-1089646239.jpg

and a close-up of one of the eggs...
post-6-1089646297.jpg

and then close on to hatching stage... you can clearly see the little developing neonates inside
post-6-1093013205.jpg

and, finally, as you can see, they pipped with no problem...
post-6-1093445961.jpg

Back