• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sterile Mice?!?!?!

ladypunk123

too much spare time
I've been breeding my own feeders for the last 3 months and have begun to notice something strange, my first couple of litters were all normal mice, I kept one of the males as a new breeder and fed the majority of the others (both sexes)... Now I'm onto probably the 20th litter (not with the same mice repeatedly, I change it up and give breaks to them) but a couple of the females aren't getting pregnant and I fed my main breeding male... and none of the other males seem to be producing...? Has anyone ever had problems with sterility in young mice?

if the females are established they may have not accepted the new male yet...som'times the females will even kill the new male....better to set up a colony and leave it alone IMO

There is a possibility that the mice could be sterile. There could be a compatibility issue as well. It's hard to say?

I agree with Criosphynx. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Wayne

Sterility is possible. I had it happen with some of mine... I had two females who seemed to have very low fertility... One never produced a litter, and the other only had very small litters every other month or so. I figured it was because they were older (at least 6 months when they were introduced to the male), so I kept back two females from the one female's first litter... One of these NEVER produced, and the other gave small litters about once a month. Weirdly enough, their brothers (who went on to create colonies with female offspring of an unrelated colony) produced perfectly well. My point is, sterility is possible... However, if the "sterile" mouse's parents were both unquestionably fertile, I have serious doubts that this is the case.

Aside from that, illness seems to cease breeding. Found this one out the hard way, too, with a few colonies that stopped breeding completely shortly after developing colds (which developed into very smelly RIs before I gave up and gassed them).

Also, as has been mentioned, it could easily be the fault of your "changing it up". Once a colony is established, you should generally leave it alone... Most people recommend that the only new females you add be from the current females' own litters, and that a replacement male be, again, raised up from the females' litters (and the father retired once the replacement comes of age). It's likely that once you stop making changes to the colony, they'll get back on a regular breeding schedule for you.

I had it happen with some of mine... I had two females who seemed to have very low fertility... One never produced a litter, and the other only had very small litters every other month or so. I figured it was because they were older (at least 6 months when they were introduced to the male), so I kept back two females from the one female's first litter... One of these NEVER produced, and the other gave small litters about once a month.

My (first)3 females were the same... they weren't very old (maybe 4-5 months) but they only produced 3 or 4 in a litter... I know that out of the females I got in those litters only 1 has been pregnant (having a litter of 5) and they're all about 4 months old now... and there was only 2 males born. The one hasn't been proven yet but my other guy has...
I then got a female who produced 12 babies at a time in her first litter and 15 in her next litter! I froze up the first litter (6 at pinky and the rest at hopper) before I could get a breeding out of any. I guess I'll have to see about her newest litter in a month or so... darnit I hate buying mice when I have all those guys out in my garage!

I would blame it on the "changing it up". The others have mentioned this as well. Once a colony is established(producing regularly) dont change it. As the colony starts to get into the 3rd litter is when I start holding back to set up another colony to replace that one. Or another way (which I have been doing more recent) is to let babies grow up in the colony. As the colony gets "older", cull the older ones out as the new ones start giving birth.

Back