• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Still New

xKGLVRx

Ok I have a couple more questions. How do you know if a corn snake is gravid, and what does that mean. How old can females start breeding and how old can males be? Is it ok to breed pet snakes? I hear alot of people say they have their pet snakes, and their breeder snakes? I'm so confussed....and NEW!!! can't ya tell??

I'll take a stab at this. Gravid means "with eggs" we don't use the term pregnant as they are not live bearing. A gravid female will show a swelling towards the rear of the body before the vent. Size is more important than age with females, most should be ready at 3yrs, although they can reproduce at a younger age. Many males can be ready at 2 yrs, but not in my case,damn! As far as the pet vs breeder thing goes, some snakes won't or can't be bred, so they are kept as "pets".
How'd I do? :cheers:

more questions

How do you know if your snake is a breeder or not? If it is a breeder can it still be handled and treated like a pet? When it is gravid is that when you put it with a male to mate, or is that before it's gravid? When they lay the eggs, do you keep them in the same spot they were laid, or are you supposed to move them. DO you keep the eggs away from other snakes, in a thing all by themselves? I'm sorry, these prolly seem like stupid questions, but I don't have any other way of finding out. Is there a place that I can figure out what the offspring of certain snakes will be? Like uncommon morphs?

KGLVR- The difference between pet and breeder snakes is a judgement call based on the physical quality of the specimin, and how well it conforms to a breed standard. It's the same as with purebred dogs.

Any snake is potentially capable of "breeding", but may not be a desireable "breeder". For example, lets say you have an Okeetee Corn snake. It's perfectly healthy, but has an overly dark wash in it's background color, and is small for it's age. This would be a great "pet quality" snake, but not something you'd want to breed. You're making this judgement based upon the accepted breed standard of what an Okeetee should look like.

I hope this clears it up for you...

BTW- I'm not an expert on breeding (yet), but Kathy Loves' book recommends a minimum size of 30" for breeders. I would imagine it's probably safer to be at least a few inches above that minimum. Especially with a female...

As for your many detailed questions about breeding, your quest for knowledge is getting into the realm of needing a good book. The #1 choice in my opinion is Corn Snakes, The Comprehensive Owners Guide by Kathy and Bill Love. You can order it through www.cornutopia.com see if it's available through your local pet store.

Good Luck!!!

Scott

Back