• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Strange behavior from 3 month old snakes?

dr82692

I'm sure we are just worrying for no reason here, being new owners and such, but me and my friend just got a 3 month old corn baby each on tuesday. Mine I believe is behaving normally, but I just wanna make sure. Besides moving to his branch twice for a very short while, he has been in his hide on the warm side (at about 83 degrees on top of the aspen) for the entire time thus far. I'm not really worried, I just wanna make sure this is normal.

My friends snake, however, is a bit stranger and he is a little more concerned. A few hours after receiving, he regurgitated a bit of stomach acid. He then sat behind his warm hide for a short bit of time, and after that has been on his cold side for the entire time, behind the hide, and now in the hide. Are these normal behaviors? Like I said, not really worried, but if there is anything to be done, we wanna "nip it in the butt" ASAP

Thanks guys

Was the regurge just liquid?
A picture might help? of both the snake and the regurg

if a snake is vomiting that can be very very bad and i would keep it as far away from the other snake as possible. Vomiting can be both bacterial or viral infection, if either or, in small snakes it could be easily lethal due to their size and difficulty treating them. If it isnt bacterial or viral it could easily be a parasite if they have been in unclean conditions.

contact your breeder if you have their number as well, and let them know about the problem. if it is a good breeder you should be able to exchange it or at least figure out what is going on.

Vomiting (rather than regurging, though both are bad) is a bad sign.

He might also be stressed though, making sure you handle it as little as possible could help insure that he gets time to rest his little tummy. I would also wait a few extra days before feeding, giving the throat the the stomach time to settle from up-chucking

poor little dude!
Keep a close eye on him and make sure the temps are good, and i hope the dude feels better!

gl!

The most normal thing would be for them to hide all the time for the first little while. A little bit of exploring is good though too, so yours is pretty much normal.

Your friend's is a little concerning in the regurgitating part, so he needs to be especially careful about not stressing him out. Absolutely no handling for a week, then offer a meal of the smallest pinkie you can find and it might not be a bad idea to only offer half a pinkie (the head--cut while still frozen, then save the bottom half for next meal). Then return him to his tank and leave him alone again. Resist the urge to handle much at all until he has gotten at least 4 meals into him, offered once every 5-7 days. That's if all goes well. If he does regurge a meal, he will need to follow the regurge protocol (which we can help you with if needed). If he doesn't eat, just make sure he's not offering more food too often, only once every 3-5 days. If you can get your hands on some Nutribac quickly, that would be good too. Its a probiotic for reptiles and helps with digestion. In that regard, it's also a good idea to put a couple little slits in the pinkies, as that helps let the snake's digestive juices into the pinkie quicker. Let us know how it goes!

As far as what he threw up, yea it was basically all liquid. The snakes are in separate vivs, so no worries on that end. He did contact the seller and he was incredibly helpful and understanding, i just wanted to see what you all thought. He said to feed only a pinkie head after about a week to let him settle down.

As far as mine, i figured all was well, just wanted to make sure. I got him tuesday and plan to feed him some time between fri-sun

Thanks, Sweetseraph, for the explanation on slit pinkies. I have read multiple posts where that is recommended but never knew why. :)

I can't speak to the regurgitation issue but corns hide a lot. They are more active than you think. When the lights are out they move around a lot--at least mine does. Only over the last few months has be begun to come out during the day.

Yeah, I just spotted mine this morning around 9 on his branches. But my friend is a little more concerned because he only stays on the cold side for some reason.

some snakes do prefer to be on the cold side. I know all my male snakes move to the cold side, all my females to the warm side :p

Yeah, I just spotted mine this morning around 9 on his branches. But my friend is a little more concerned because he only stays on the cold side for some reason.

I guarantee it does not just stay on the cold side. It goes to the warm side but not when your friend is looking. As my corn has gotten older he is out more yours will too.

I'm no expert but i can tell you this... I change my tank around pretty often ( i get bored looking at the same tank all the time) and I have moved the UTH 3 or 4 times..It takes Monti (my corn) about 4 seconds to find the heat..As far as the regurg , its either nothing or something serious.. Chances are its nothing...

Well my snake is doing fine. He's exploring a lot more, in fact last night I caught him climbing everywhere in his branches for a long time. My roommate is out of town for the weekend, so I can't speak to how his snake is doing. He plans to feed a pinkie head tuesday, I plan to feed a whole pinkie sunday

Back