• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

strange behavior

Quigs

"Got R Did"
Probably nothing to be concerned about but I thought I better ask since I had not run across this before in my collection as of yet.

I have an adult anery male that for the last few weeks, he has grabbed his meal with vigor like normal. Begins to swallow and then when he thinks we are out of the room attending to the 03's he spits it back out. I would not really consider this a regurge though.

Last week, Jen (my fiance) was having a hell of a time getting him interested in his meal. Oh and he is only fed every other week, btw)

When I came back to the room, I noticed he was more or less playing with the mouse and/or Jen. But he had his tail straight up in the air. I right away recognized that as a breeding responce. Am I correct in this assumption?

I just got this guy this year and when I purchased him, he had "supposedly" just been taken out of brumation. Hadn't had a meal yet and no shed. That was in March, I believe. Up until recently he has been been eating like crazy and has shed twice since he's been here.

A little side note. Two weeks ago I had him out while Jen was cleaning his cage and I heard the dreaded "popping". So, I took that as a prequal to a possible RI. Right away heat went up and after a few days I no longer hear it. No running nose or bubbles ever appeared.

So all that being said...

Is this normal? And what would you do? I hate thawing out mice to be thrown away. Should I give him a few more weeks to think about his problem? lol I am not breeding him this year at all. Besides isn't it a tad bit late to start getting a breeding responce? Maybe he just needs a cold shower?

Thanks all in advance,

Quigs

Do you leave the mouse with him over-night? I've had some snakes start to eat, get startled by something (even just by me looking at them), spit out the mouse, only to go back to eating long after they know I'm not returning.

Is there anything different about the recent mice? New batch, different size, different supplier. The snake may be detecting something it doesn't like after it's initial feeding response. Very unusual, but can't be ruled out.

The tail straight up in the air may be a breeding response, or just that the snake is about ready to poo. I've seen several of my snakes raise their tail straight up for at least 5 minutes before finally pooing.

And if your snake was "just taken out of brumation" in March, it may be just typical male breeding season behavior. His internal clock may be off and he really does need to take a cold shower.

Back