• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Strange behavoir...advice needed pls..

Plums

Can anyone help?

Something very strange happened last night with my eldest corn.

I gave him his food as normal & everything was fine.

I always closley monitor them while they are eating just incase any problems occur..

About 5 mins after he had stopped eating, I noticed that he was biting his own back ??? he had his whole mouth around the width of his back as if he was trying to eat himself !?!

I misted him with water to make him stop & he let go, however I thought this very, very odd .. The only thing I can think of it being is as he had constricted the mouse he had picked up the scent from his back & thought yum yum...more food..???

anyone seen this type of thing happen before ?

Im baffled ! & a bit worried !
thanks

is he near shed? he may have been trying to losen the skin around the bulge as it would have probably made eating difficult if he is about to shed...

My yellow rat used to do that after eating when she was having an RI and mucus blocked her throat a bit ... she was actually pushing the prey beyond the blocked point by pushing it against her own body with open mouth. But since your snake's prey surely passed to the stomach after 5 minutes, that could not have been it I think... maybe something was irritating his throat and he was trying to get it out/through though?

Plums said:
anyone seen this type of thing happen before ?
YES...I have seen this happen before. My RTB does it almost everytime I feed him. I also have a couple of corns that do it. It cracks me up :grin01: They let go quite quickly once they realize they are biting themselves.

CornCrazy said:
YES...I have seen this happen before. My RTB does it almost everytime I feed him. I also have a couple of corns that do it. It cracks me up :grin01: They let go quite quickly once they realize they are biting themselves.

Oh my - that would scare me a bit too...

Terri - do you think they still smell the mouse then and bite the only moving thing, themselves?

Glad I read this before I saw it...hehehe

-Tonya

The first time or two that I saw it happen, I was a bit concerned. Now I know they aren't stupid enough to keep biting themselves (once they realize they aren't a mouse, anyway). My RTB is VERY food oriented. He would eat every day if I'd let him. Maybe he is trying to make up for all the months he went hungry before I rescued him. :shrugs:

Tonya - I do think they smell the food and see the movement so they get confused and try to eat another "mouse." Silly babies ;)

Back