• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Strange feeding response.

Cycal

Fignuts!
Not sure if this belonged in the behavior forums or in here...

My snake was eating 2 regular sized f/t pinkies every 5 days (he's a late '05). The last 2 feedings ive have bumped him up to 1 XL pinky/peach fuzzy and one small pinky. These XL pinks are pretty big and it takes him about 30 minutes to cram one down his throat.

Anyways, last feeding day (monday) i peeked inside is feeding box to check on him during his dinner and he had wrapped his tail around his own neck while he was eating. Its kinnda hard to describe it, but he was almost in the shape of a noose. I had no idea what he was doing, so i left him alone for another 15 minutes. When i checked on him again, he had swallowed it, and was cruising the box waiting for his second pinky.

The only other thing i have changed in his feedings is the ole' slicing the skin thing. I been doing that for the last 4 feedings. He feeding response has dramaticly changed since then. He now strikes and constricts his food (sometimes so hard he squeezes mouse juice out of them) instead of just sniffing it to re-death.

So my questions is, what was he doing? Was the prey item to large? Was he still trying to constrict it while it was in his throat? Is he just being weird?

If you've gone up in size, you should stick to one food item. It's possible that he just happened to get his tail up there while swallowing the item after constricting. They don't always let go until the last minute. If he's taking 30 minutes to down his prey, I'm thinking it's just a little large. Stick to feeding one item, not two and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back