• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Strange hatchling

JCam99

Hey guys

I just had a clutch of normals hatch out for me yesterday. While I was sorting the hatchlings this morning, putting them into separate containers, I noticed one hatchling in particular had a strange thing going on. I guess the first thing that made him stand out to me was he had a partial stripe on him, extending from behind the arrowhead on his head (actually connected to the arrowhead) going down the middle to about 1.5 inches down. I know that's nothing really unusual but what did catch my eye was the back part of his body. I noticed some of the side saddles about 2 inches from the vent had strange light greyish, almost white sections. Two saddles were very broken up by these sections, giving it an almost bullseye appearance. At first I thought maybe the little guy got some vermiculite or debris on his back section, and that was what I was seeing. BUT I tried to clean it off and it is obviously a part of the snake. I'm wondering what is going on with this little guy.

Here's some info on the parents. Dad is a reverse okeetee, mom is just a plain old normal (I posted pics of her months ago)...they've bred for years and never had anything like this come out. This guy is also a lot darker then his siblings, but to the best of my knowledge isn't an anery or lavender or anything (it just wouldn't be possible)...he does have the typical light orange coloration around the head area that normals have when hatching. So I'd say he's a normal for sure. He isn't entering the shed cycle yet (some of his sibings are, so I'm assuming he is a recent hatchling). I am going to hold off on pics of him until after he sheds, because sometimes these things go away after a shed or 2. That and a friend of mine is a pro at taking baby snake pics, and I really am not. But in the interim, do you all have any idea what is going on? He looks so different from any normals I've ever hatched I definitely think I'm going to hold onto him for awhile, especially if this funkyness holds out.

Later everybody
Jcam99

Back