• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

strange paterned normal & what would Jesus do?

dejvid

Ok, so it may not be anything, but in my clutch of normals het. amel, there was one with some intresting patern, not all over but stil intresting... I think, it could be some intresting project on that one, unfortunatly, after closer inspection, i find a minor kink on his spine, so now i am in a dilemma, of forgeting abbout that intresting pattern in the manner of that litle kink, or if he manage to survive to adoulthood, make a project to selectewly breed on that patern...

Some pics:
dorzal
BILD5073.jpg

BILD5075.jpg

BILD5076.jpg

BILD5067.jpg

BILD5068.jpg

on the side
BILD5069.jpg

BILD5070.jpg

BILD5071.jpg

Personally, I'd be willing to keep a kinked snake as a pet if it could eat, shed, defecate and grow, but I would not breed it nor sell it. I did keep a kinked granite hatchling a few years ago but she died at about a year old after appearing to thrive.

I agree with Janine. Keep it, see if it will feed, poo, and shed normally. If the quality of life is good, it can be a healthy happy pet. Animals with kinks are not good candidates for breeding. Sometimes the kinking can be genetic.

The pattern looks like some of the affects of heat spikes during incubation. Kinks and strange patterns have been directly tied to heat spikes. It's pretty, but the odds of it being genetic are slim.

I think I'd go with the above advice. I've hatched odd ones with patterns like that through the years. No sign of it in parents or siblings. Never kept any as a project, but then I'd never thought of it as genetic and always considered incubation conditions to blame.

Kinking can also be either genetic or down to incubation (humidity or temps too high). Personally I wouldn't risk breeding.

I think s/he'll make you a sweet pet! It's the ones which are a bit "different" that sometimes turn out to have the most interesting and quirky characters.

I have one female with 2 kinks, she was at 750 grams before I bred her, the kinks are high up on her body (first quarter of her length from her snout) so there's no issues with causing fertile eggs to get stuck. Test breeding her this year to see if its genetic or just the way she is. If yours is a kinked male then passing eggs wont be a concern. Maybe its genetic maybe it's not. I'm not qualified to speak for Jesus.

I have one female with 2 kinks, she was at 750 grams before I bred her, the kinks are high up on her body (first quarter of her length from her snout) so there's no issues with causing fertile eggs to get stuck. Test breeding her this year to see if its genetic or just the way she is. If yours is a kinked male then passing eggs wont be a concern. Maybe its genetic maybe it's not. I'm not qualified to speak for Jesus.

I agree with Dave.

Typically, one would not breed a kinked snake, but if it is a male, then you don't have any worry as to eggs being stuck. I have one female snake who has trouble passing stool now that she is getting into prey that has fur. Currently, a warm bath will unclog her, but she is one that has a SEVERE kink.

If you do decide to breed though, don't get your hopes up with the babies. If it is genetic, you may get a clutch of really badly kinked babies :(

After reading your other thread, I'm certain the spinal, eye, and other deformities are from heat spikes. That also explains the pattern a good bit. Heat spikes early on can cause a number of issues with hatchlings.

Keep the ones that can eat and live normally, they should make wonderful pets.

Back