• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

strange shedding problem

grdn1014

i have a baby corn and it hasnt shed since i got him a few weeks ago. it looks like he is ready to shed, but his outter skin seems to be flaking off in small small pieces, and at a very very slow rate. anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong here? i constantly see him rubbing against the rough stone i have in there trying to shed but it just seems to flake off, with hardly a noticable amount of shedding.

Sounds like his enclosure is lacking proper humitidy. What are the humidity levels in its cage?

Also you could provide it with a moist hide.

People make them in varying ways as simple as tossing a damp papertowl on the warm side of the viv, to what I make ;) I call it the moist tropical getaway ;) LOL!

I line the inside of a container with damp papertowels, make an entrance, and VIOLA! vacation.
HumidHide0004.jpg

HumidHide0005.jpg

Stick it on the warm side
HumidHide0006.jpg

Hope this helps.

You could also try soaking it in a dish with a little bit of water to give it some moisture to help it get the skin off...

k... that's probably bout all the advise I got ;) heh.

You could try the 'snake-o-bath'
Fold up a washcloth in a sandwich box, soak it with lukewarm water, so it is cool to the touch, not warm or hot, place snake in box with ventilated lid, and PRESTO!
shed.jpg

Hope this will help, you might want to check the humidity in your viv if this is a recurrent problem

well i keep the humidity levels around 50-60%. thanks for the great ideas i will have to make something like yours SilentLore, that really is neat. the snake you use that for, how big/old is it? just curious

I noticed the ones I keep in the Sterilites have lower humidity, so I just toss in a moist paper towel near their hide when they are close to shedding. :D

Back