• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

?? striped motley vs. striped

oldsnow

Hrmmmm........
Okay, so I just picked up two 09's and they were listed as "Striped Ghost Motley" and "Striped Hypo ph Caramel". The hypo I know is a stripe, but in your experience would you say the ghost is a motley het stripe or just a fully striped motley. Is there any way for me to tell them apart?

Also I know that motleys don't display a belly pattern. Is this true for stripes as well since motley and stripe are allelic?

I will be breeding the "striped motley" with a stripe so I guess it doesn't really matter as I will get all motley and stripe out of that clutch, correct?

Okay, so I just picked up two 09's and they were listed as "Striped Ghost Motley" and "Striped Hypo ph Caramel". The hypo I know is a stripe, but in your experience would you say the ghost is a motley het stripe or just a fully striped motley. Is there any way for me to tell them apart?

Also I know that motleys don't display a belly pattern. Is this true for stripes as well since motley and stripe are allelic?

I will be breeding the "striped motley" with a stripe so I guess it doesn't really matter as I will get all motley and stripe out of that clutch, correct?

If you can, I'd maybe ask the breeder what they mean by "striped ghost motley". My assumption, by the way it is written, is that it would be genetically motley (mm), but with a stripe. Otherwise it is usually written as "motley het stripe" (ms).

If the striped motley is indeed genetically motley (mm), and you breed it with a stripe (ss), you will get 100% "motley het stripes" (ms).

If the striped motley is actually a motley het stripe (ms), and you breed it to a stripe (ss), you will get 50% "motley het stripe", and 50% stripe.

If you can, I'd maybe ask the breeder what they mean by "striped ghost motley". My assumption, by the way it is written, is that it would be genetically motley (mm), but with a stripe. Otherwise it is usually written as "motley het stripe" (ms).

If the striped motley is indeed genetically motley (mm), and you breed it with a stripe (ss), you will get 100% "motley het stripes" (ms).

If the striped motley is actually a motley het stripe (ms), and you breed it to a stripe (ss), you will get 50% "motley het stripe", and 50% stripe.

I am sure he will still be there tomorrow, since I'm at the repticon show, and he is also a member on here so I can hopefully get more info about the genetic background on them. Now I just need to find a straight caramel to test out the ph on that one

What does his pattern look like? That terminology is so confusing...I have a fully-striped motley, which is what I refer to her as. In Cornsnake Morph Guide that is referred to as Pinstripe Motley. Mine isn't het for stripe at all. I think the only way to know for sure is to ask the breeder.

He is fully striped from head to vent with no connections of the stripes, but does have small (insets) into his stripes which makes me think motley with just very clean stripes.

Also, was I correct in thinking motley and stripe both contribute to no belly checkers since they share the same allele?

pics would help :)

Wouldn't they? Just can't figure out how to get them to upload from my blackberry. I didn't bring the computer or the camera since I had posting abilities from here but didn't think I would run into this problem. I will be able to talk to "camby" tomorrow when I get back to the show to watch for those wonderful end of show deals. Can't beat coming to get 2 and leaving with 3 possibly.

Thanks susan, and please don't think I'm trying to be a smart *** but I know how to use search. I checked that thread as well as a few others but most all of them just debated saying mot het stripe or m/s. I will just talk to the breeder this morning to get the background on them

I have two examples. First is Zora- 100% motley, no stripe het. The tip-off is the little jugs in her stripe.

Attachments

• Zora 01_2010 001cr.jpg
    Zora 01_2010 001cr.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 22
Next is Calli. She was sold to me as a stripe. Upon looking her parents up in the ACR registry, I see she is actually a motley, with no stripe ancestors. I've shown her pics to Rich Z and Don Soderburg who say they don't know what else they would have sold her as (stripe). Quite confusing. I am curious to see her offspring next season- I think that will clarify things.

Attachments

• Calli 04_2009 001cr.jpg
    Calli 04_2009 001cr.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 19
The attached comparison thread made things a lot clearer to me. That one looked in the side by side pic looked like it had a zipper going down its back. That was the motley stripe correct? WOW! I want one! Are they pricey???

Devon

Here is my brass, sold as motley stripe. When I was told that its not possible for mot and stripe to show at the same time I called back, they checked and it is a mot het stripe. Believed to be male, will be probing today.

Attachments

• Brass 2-02-10 A.JPG
    Brass 2-02-10 A.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 17
  • brass 2-02-10 C.JPG
    brass 2-02-10 C.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Brass body shot 2-02-10.JPG
    Brass body shot 2-02-10.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 17
  • brass belly shot 2-02-10.JPG
    brass belly shot 2-02-10.JPG